New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Help Everyone. Kabibili ko lang ng 1990 AE92 with a 4AGE engine last January. But lately I have noticed that the car has been having some slight hatak issue. I noticed that in lower gears 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear changes, pag pick-up ko feel ko na parang na sho-short ang gas supply. But the engine doesn't die, parang mag short or loss power lang sya temporarily then it will recover naman. At idle the engine is okey. Kung mag-revolution ka naman at stationery lang ang kotse nothing seems to be bad. Lumalabas lang paminsan-minsan pag nag change gears ka from 1st to 3rd but more common sya sa 2nd to 3rd.

For an overview and to those who think na posible that this could be a fuel pump issue, i'll give a brief description. The car's fuel pump is mounted right inside the engine compartment just by the wall nung wheelbox sa front left. Sabi ng iba this is wrong mounting or set-up raw. They said the pump should be a submersible type. Mine raw is a suction type of fuel pump (from mercedez), and malamang this could be it. Its possible raw the pump is not able to suck 100% fuel. The pump's pressure has been gauged already. Pressure reading at idle is about 35psi. Sabi ng mekaniko okey raw ito. Medyo malikot lang yung needle ng gauge which the mechanic thinks hindi normal or tama. The gauge's needle should be steady lang raw.

When the problem occurs I was also thinking that the fuel capacity in the tank could be an issue. Most of the time kasi when I gas up for the day tama lang for what I need for the day, like 200 to 400 per loading. Could this be it? But just today nagload na ako ng marami-rami. I have about 600 to 700 pesos of 95octane fuel in the tank.

Today di lumabas yung problema but im not sure if kung na cure yung problem with the so much fuel I loaded up.

So what do you guys think ang problem? Is there something wrong with the pump? Is the mounting or set-up wrong? Should I convert to a submersible type fuel pump? Other mechanics said kasi, pag fuel injection system raw ang engine the fuel pump should be the submersible type inside the gas tank para mas maganda and fuel supply.

Or are there other causes for this? like electrical perhaps, etc. etc... By the way this car is my everyday and family car sa ngayon. house to kids school to work, work to kids school to house. Yung liftback ko naka temporarily standby.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    It is possible that what your engine is experiencing is fuel starvation. When you hit 1st to 3rd gear or 2nd to 3rd gear, do you get it up to redline or near it? More rpm means more fuel, and if your fuel pump can't keep up with the demand... Your engine goes cough cough. With a 4age dropped in an AE92 corolla, that's going to be a hot rod. And when you have a hot rod you're supposed to drive it like you stole it hehe. Also check your fuel line, it may be blocked (that car is already a debutante). Disconnect fuel hoses and have the main fuel line blown with conpressed air at your local gas station (not too much as it may explode if the line is already rusted). If the line is really clogged, you might wanna replace it. HTH.

By the way, any more problems you encountered with your car? I'd like to hear from you. I'm planning on getting one as well hehe.

Enyong666

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I think na pag usapan na 'tong topic na ito before (may sagot na & I dont know if R2D5 already did what I told him to do) but the best way to solve that "Fuel Starvation" problem is that you need to relocate the Fuel Pump inside the Fuel Tank OR have it installed In-Line BUT the Fuel Pump has to be near the Fuel Tank and has to be on its lowest point.

ang nangyari kasi dito is that ginamit niya pa din ang original na fuel tank and fuel lines from the AE92 na originally na naka 4A-C (Carbureted 4A enigne) which has a low pressure Mechanical Fuel Pump, tapos na naka install pa a ng external fuel pump sa front-most part ng kotse, by the fenderwell (which is not a very good idea at all). now in order na mag work ng matino ang Fuel System ng AE92 na naka 4AGE ay dapat i-swap din ang Fuel Tank and Fuel line(s) na galing sa AE92 na may original na 4AGE (AE92 Corolla GT-S) doon sa non 4AGE na AE92 OR i-modify ang Fuel System & Fuel Line(s) ng standard na AE92 (non GT-S) na magkaroon siya ng External Fuel Pump set-up, na dapat naka install malapit sa Fuel Tank (and installed as low as possible).

aite, peace.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Hmmm so hindi naman pala ganon katindi problema naeencounter nyo sa 4AGE Black Top engine. Makes me feel a lot better kasi kabibili ko lang ng 4AGE Black TOP and soon it will be fitted to my 1994 XL corolla bigbody. Mapapalitan na din lahat ng brake disc to compensate the power my car will have.. Sarap! Any problems with 4AGE Black Top please post here para naman ma-check ko kung magiging problema nga heheheheh..thanks

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alfalax88 View Post
    Hmmm so hindi naman pala ganon katindi problema naeencounter nyo sa 4AGE Black Top engine. Makes me feel a lot better kasi kabibili ko lang ng 4AGE Black TOP and soon it will be fitted to my 1994 XL corolla bigbody. Mapapalitan na din lahat ng brake disc to compensate the power my car will have.. Sarap! Any problems with 4AGE Black Top please post here para naman ma-check ko kung magiging problema nga heheheheh..thanks
    sir, where did u buy your 4AGE blacktop? im thinking of replacing the 4A-FE on my AE111.

peace!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Try mo pumunta sa Pasay. "Initial D" pagtanong mo yang shop na yan. Pa-reserve ka na 4AGE Balck Top kasi in demand yan engine na yan...the sooner the better. thanks

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by m777 View Post
    sir, where did u buy your 4AGE blacktop? im thinking of replacing the 4A-FE on my AE111.

peace!
    benta mo sa akin 4afe mo after mo magpalit hehehe. sama mo na lahat. wiring, ecu, at gauges.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alfalax88 View Post
    Try mo pumunta sa Pasay. "Initial D" pagtanong mo yang shop na yan. Pa-reserve ka na 4AGE Balck Top kasi in demand yan engine na yan...the sooner the better. thanks

Sir, update po sa BT installation sa Initial D?

4age/ae92 Problems