New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    It’s official: The Toyota Vios GR-S will be launched in PH next week | TopGear PH

We were previously told by a trusted source that the GR-S’ new 10-speed CVT will become available here. And yes, just like in Malaysia, the nat-asp 1.5-liter four-banger producing 107hp and 140Nm of torque will also be retained here.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2019

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Question:

What would the new 10 speed CVT transmission do better than the older 7 speed Automatic?
    Will it make the vios quicker of the line? faster? higher top speed? more economical?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ale828 View Post
    Question:

What would the new 10 speed CVT transmission do better than the older 7 speed Automatic?
    Will it make the vios quicker of the line? faster? higher top speed? more economical?
    Better fuel efficiency most likely. It will not make it quicker or faster with the anemic 1.5L NA engine still powering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ale828 View Post
    Question:

maybe a bit increase in top speed, but not much.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I was hoping the engine was tuned a bit since hindi pwede ireflash yung box ng Toyota

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I was hoping the engine was tuned a bit since hindi pwede ireflash yung box ng Toyota
    Knowing Toyota, they wouldn’t do that. It would still sell very well anyway.

Sa Rush ginamit pa rin nila yang 1.5L engine na yan eh when a more powerful 1.6L or 1.8L engine would make it more appropriate for its size.

If you want a small car with much more zing, then look to another brand/model.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Knowing Toyota, they wouldn’t do that. It would still sell very well anyway.
    "hope/wish" lang naman, knowing that Toyota ECUs cannot be reflashed. It would have been nice if Toyota gave the Vios more power (kahit towards 5-6K RPM lang)

My City is also a "sports limited edition" pero tanggap ko na skirt lang ang naiba (bought it bec wife and daughter wanted a red car and yun lang available at the time of purchase)

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    "hope/wish" lang naman, knowing that Toyota ECUs cannot be reflashed. It would have been nice if Toyota gave the Vios more power (kahit towards 5-6K RPM lang)

My City is also a "sports limited edition" pero tanggap ko na skirt lang ang naiba (bought it bec wife and daughter wanted a red car and yun lang available at the time of purchase)
    The City is much better than the Vios in terms of power/torque delivery. As with any gasoline NA engines, peak torque is usually available at 4k rpm while peak power is at 6k rpm.

If you want more power and torque from a small displacement gas engine, turbocharging is the way to go! You can easily get 50-60% more power and torque with a turbocharger.

At around the same price as a top-spec Vios, you can already buy the entry-level Geely Coolray. You get more tech and features plus much more power and torque! It’s also much quicker and faster.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    ^adding a turbo will add power kaso halos engine lang matitira sa current set-up ng Vios -> too expensive for such a small market

reflashing the ECU to gain 5%hp towards the max RPM is technically free (it will look better on paper and guys buying the car will feel a bit better)

as I said, nothing against this model, I am a fan of skirts/spoilers as long as the car rolls out of the dealership with it (no outside mods for me)

New CVT is a nice step forward. Hope to see this new tranny in other variants of the Vios in the future.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast