New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    exterior is sporty and aggressive the interior is very conseravative (though looks fine by me). bipolar in that weird way hehe

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    parang A4 inspired yung front! hehehe

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Welcome back corolla!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    when did it leave?
    heh heh.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    When will the 2020 Altis be available in the PH?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I recall a Jalopnik article years back on the Corolla's secret success recipe.
    Searched & found it.....
    Here's why Travis Okulski thought the 2014 Corolla was perfect.....

"The Toyota Corolla didn't become one of the world's best selling cars by being daringly styled with cutting edge tech and amazing driving dynamics. It got to its lofty position by playing it safe and being boring.

And the 2014 Corolla plays it safe. It uses a platform that has been tried and tested and engines that have proven to be rock solid over hundreds of thousands of miles of use in highway and city driving. It's still cheap, it has a slightly more daring exterior and what seems to be a massively improved interior.

Sure, it's boring as sin to drive, but that's kind of the point. The rest of the world isn't like us. They don't have an obsession with cars or driving. If they did, the Mazda3 would be the best selling car in its class by the widest margin possible. Most people just want to get from Point A to Point B, and occasionally on the weekends Point C.

They don't care how the car feels to get there. They don't care about nicely weighted steering and I'm willing to bet they don't even care about how their car looks. Understand these people I do not.
    What they do care about is saving money and reliability. The Toyota Corolla has been helping people do both of those things since sometime before the Revolutionary War. It's a formula that works, which is why Toyota sells nearly 300,000 Corollas in the USA each year.

If you sold at least 230,000 of something a year each year for the last 13, would you want to make a wholesale change to it? Of course not. You'd be an idiot to totally transform your product. You know what sells. Stick with it. If people cared about the Corolla being outdated, they wouldn't have bought 290,000 of them last year. 2012 was the Corollas best year since 2009. It's proof that Corolla buyers just want wheels to get around and nothing more. They're the majority of people.

Car obsessed people like us are a minority. A tiny, vocal minority. We care that the Corolla hasn't changed, but we're the only ones. What matters is what the people who buy it think, and they don't seem to think about cars a lot.

People who don't know about cars that have a Corolla are probably telling friends who also know nothing about cars that "their Corolla is great." And you know what? They're right. It is great. It gets them where they need to go with no worries and it runs for ages. It's a small initial expense that is reliable for ages. It is "car." It isn't special, but appliances aren't special.

Why buy a Sub Zero fridge when a Frigidaire does the same thing for far less money without frills you don't need? If you drive a Bentley to the mall or a Toyota to the mall, you'll still be at the mall when you get out of the car.

Toyota once tried to make an exciting Corolla. It was called the XRS and had the running gear of the Celica. It failed. And that's because nobody cared. They just wanted a Corolla for day-to-day, they didn't need to have fun while getting there. It was an affirmation of the purpose of the Corolla: Motoring appliance.

Just because a car isn't an enthusiast car doesn't mean it's a bad car. By all accounts, the Corolla is perfectly average in every way and will get you where you need to go. That's all a car needs to do and the Corolla will do that. You don't need more.

Toyota knows exactly what they're doing. And while critics are laughing at them and saying they screwed this car up, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank when they sell another 300,000 of them next year."

Seems like Toyota is bored w/ boring. Its current lineup has a Boxer in the 86, a Skyactiv in the iA, a Z4 in the Supra.
    Hope the new sportier Corollas will sell as well or top the old boring.2020 Toyota Corolla Altis

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    as long as many folks out there prefer boringly reliable cars, the corolla will always be a good seller.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Compact sedans are a niche market nowadays. Filipinos looking for a no-frills point A to point B car will get a Vios. If they want a bit less ubiquity, a City.

The Civic is actually the best-selling compact instead of the plain Altis. Perhaps because it has more striking looks and more pizzazz, not necessarily because it has better handling. After all, the Mazda 3 has superior handling but has never outsold the Altis.

The new Corolla will sell well if it carries Toyota's vaunted reliability and adds more flair, which is the main thing missing from the otherwise solid Vios. After all, those going for practicality will opt for an Ecosport/Rush/Xpander at this price point.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Compact sedans are a niche market nowadays. Filipinos looking for a no-frills point A to point B car will get a Vios. If they want a bit less ubiquity, a City.

The Civic is actually the best-selling compact instead of the plain Altis. Perhaps because it has more striking looks and more pizzazz, not necessarily because it has better handling. After all, the Mazda 3 has superior handling but has never outsold the Altis.

The new Corolla will sell well if it carries Toyota's vaunted reliability and adds more flair, which is the main thing missing from the otherwise solid Vios. After all, those going for practicality will opt for an Ecosport/Rush/Xpander at this price point.

Totally agree with you sir. For the same price, they would prefer the Rush/ Avanza/ Expander can seat 2 more, has higher ground clearance and will be more "fuel efficient", without taking power to weight ratio into consideration.

Although for me, at this price point, it's either I buy my preferred compact car (Mazda 3, Civic FC 1.8), or a used 2015-16 Fortuner, if I need the extra 2 seats.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast