New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 21 of 146 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    The old Innova 2.5L in a/t guise is relatively thirsty (around 7-8km/L in city) and one reason being was one had to punch the accelerator to start from standstill to overcome the lag and keep your spot in slow moving traffic. If the 2.8L gives good low end torque, coupled with the 6-speed a/t then it has a good chance of delivering par or better city FC versus the outgoing model (unless both engines idle for very long periods of time rather than move in stop and go traffic).

In my case with the 2.4L Hilux m/t, so far I am getting somewhat better city FC versus when we had an Innova 2.5L J many years ago. (10km/L versus 9++km/L).

The price is a game changer indeed; Our family was about to get dispose of our 2009 Innova G to get the new one and the pricing changes is now making us think twice. For our use, we don't need a 2.8L and would gladly spend for a 2.4L a/t if it was 100-150K less. Kaunting tumbling nalang, may Carnival na.
    Yup the old 2.5L was relatively thirsty but in stop and go in the city I didn't feel like I had to punch the accelerator (with the a/t) that much as the gear ratios were pretty good. Felt like the ratios were really made for in city traffic. Even better than the m/t. Its in the highways that the old 2.5L Innova felt anemic. I don't discount the possibility of the new 2.8L being more efficient in the city but with MM traffic being what it is right now, I wouldn't bet on it.

The Carnival clearly looks like a better package but after owning 2 Korean cars I still doubt they'll be able to catch up in build quality (of parts) with this gen. I'm with you re: 2.4L, a much better match for the usage most people will have.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    This was the answer of the Innova's chief engineer on the decision to go for an all-2.8 lineup:

Naturally, we asked Hiroki Nakajima, the chief engineer of the IMV platform, why local Innova gets the higher displacement engine. According to Nakajima, the hilly roads and our fondness of carrying extra passengers led to this decision and thus, the 2.8 engine made its way to our new Innovas which are being built in the Santa Rosa, Laguna plant.
    http://www.autoindustriya.com/featur...ta-innova.html

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    This doesn't make sense... A 2.2 Korean engine doesn't have this issue.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmetal View Post
    This doesn't make sense... A 2.2 Korean engine doesn't have this issue.
    The old 2.5 is quite sufficient already and the press release of the new 2GD (2.4 liter) declared more torque and HP (i think) coupled with the 6speed AT, should be enough already. My biggest concern with the 2.8 is the FC. Hope someone can give feedback as compared to the outgoing 2.5

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've driven countless Innova diesels and share the same sentiment with all other Innova owners I've talked to - the Innova's 2.5 was sufficient even for a full load.

The added power of the 2.4 would've been more than enough. 140+ horsepower for a people carrier is good enough to climb Baguio on a full load and overtake easily on two-lane provincial highways.

My friend who's ex-Toyota says that it could be a supply issue for the 2.4, which is why they fitted the Innovas with 2.8s which were more available. Possible, but not exactly conclusive.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I like the 2.8 though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    The 2.8L Fortuner's FC was 40% more than Toyota's claimed numbers in this Aussie review:

Toyota Fortuner Review | CarAdvice

Being a detuned version on narrower tires and possibly lighter body might help FC a bit. With the increase in power I hope they put in bigger brakes. The brakes in the previous gen were just good enough for the engine.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I've driven countless Innova diesels and share the same sentiment with all other Innova owners I've talked to - the Innova's 2.5 was sufficient even for a full load.

The added power of the 2.4 would've been more than enough. 140+ horsepower for a people carrier is good enough to climb Baguio on a full load and overtake easily on two-lane provincial highways.

My friend who's ex-Toyota says that it could be a supply issue for the 2.4, which is why they fitted the Innovas with 2.8s which were more available. Possible, but not exactly conclusive.

One of my biggest gripes with their dropping in a 2.8L is that i'll be encountering cocky Innova drivers on the expressway.

The 2.5L D4d G I use can do highway speeds and climb under a full load. But if you're talking about passing vehicles on a two lane strip at moderate speed then that's where it becomes wanting, most especially on a hot day where heat soak becomes apparent. Because of this I prefer using our family m/t GL Grandia for long trips over the a/t Innova.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    With a 2.8 they will be eating lots of cars and PPVs for breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The new Innova would be a little over 1700 kg (old one was 1670 kg).

At 100 hp/ton it's not exactly a lightweight. Could be faster 0-100 than most compacts but not by much. With steering, brakes, and handling that were not designed with speed in mind, any 1.5L subcompact or 1.6L compact can match an Innova's pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk