New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    C Magazine review got this right in my book. The 86/brz are track machines, while the GC is a grand tourer. Apples and oranges. Even TopGear acknowledged this in their recent comparo of the two machines. The Camry V6, on the other hand, is a FWD executive car meant to be ridden at the back. Its not even a fruit. More like a pechay. Now, people may compare apples and oranges (being both fruits), but no one compares both of them to a pechay. JMTC

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Who's preaching what? What gospel?

Car reviews are inherently completely and utterly subjective. Everyone has an opinion about what's best.

I've never said anywhere that the Genesis is better to drive than the 86. Even in that review I admitted you can buy much better racetrack machinery for the same money (and no other sports cars are the same money other than the 86 and BRZ).

You preach that we should drive these cars before making an opinion, yet your opinion of rating the Genesis as the same as a Camry V6 suggests you've never driven one in anger on a proper road...
    Mali ka Niky. Nilagyan mo kasi ng smiley yung comment mo.

Basically, what i see from Niky's comment on the new Genesis versus the 86 is that the Genesis has been improved to at least narrow the gap between the track and the street. Some buyers still look for those longer legs for the drives rather than the high revving, throw around the track vehicle. So it's still boiling down to buyer/driver preference between the two.

Nowhere will the Camry V6 get anywhere near to kicking out the tail at the corner as some Genesis owners do.
    Last edited by vinj; December 12th, 2012 at 09:43 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Mali ka Niky. Nilagyan mo kasi ng smiley yung comment mo.
    Smiley? What smiley?

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Nowhere will the Camry V6 get anywhere near to kicking out the tail at the corner as some Genesis owners do.
    Come to think of it... while the Camry V6 and Accord V6 are big, heavy, understeering pigs, cars like the Subaru Legacy and Mazda6 are not. The Legacy has a more neutral weight bias, so you can at least get the "Scandinavian Flick" right once every ten times. The Mazda6 with the 2.5 liter engine has a lighter nose than the Genesis, a great suspension and much better steering, and it'll hang tail properly on a good mountain road. Perhaps not as much as the first generation Mazda6 (I remember some of the other journos were playing at being Sebastian Loeb at Tagaytay Highlands at the launch... ), but it's still fantastic to drive. If I recall, I once said that given a choice between the old 2.0T GenCoupe and the Mazda6 2.5, I'd pick the Mazda6, every time.

Talking about journos... I remember when the first NC Miata came out. All the press were gushing about it. Heaping it with praise. Only a few were voicing sour notes about the artificial-feeling steering and rather clumsy response when countersteering. (obviously, EVO UK) When we got our hands on it, the others were gushing with praise. I found myself skeptical about the steering. It was only after a thirty minute thrash through Tanay that Marivn, (Mister "Tofu and Noodles" Chevy Venture) our editor, finally agreed with me about it.

Mazda admitted it was a problem afterwards, when they designed the NC2. Causing some of us to go: "Ha! We knew it!"

There's a big difference between a short thrash on the race track and a proper full-on test. What feels good in a prepared environment doesn't always hold up after the buzz has worn off. That's why multi-day road tests are important.
    Last edited by niky; December 12th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Someone's going to be screeching happy this holiday.

I saw a red 86 on a truck bed full of Altis and Fortuners going up Cavite.

Sana ako na lang yon.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Heads up.

A Toyota SA friend of mine called me this morning telling me that there are 2 units of the GT 86 sa Planta.
    Apparently the 2 units are free units. Hindi daw reserved and they were free to bid/get the unit for their dealership if i wished to buy it.
    Sadly it wasn't the color and the model that i was looking for.
    its 1 black Aero and 1 red/orange Aero.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Saw a black one w/o kits + dealer plates inside the ateneo campus yesterday. The gt-86 really looks nice in black.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Finally got my Lightning Red M/T 86 put down a 100k deposit at Toyota Cubao last June 6. It was a long 6 months but it was worth the wait! No in-house financing and trd kit requirement BS. They only requested that we get in-house insurance which was fine since it wasn't outrageously bloated.

FYI, I saw another 4 86s at Toyota Cubao. Another red, 2 white pearls and a black aero.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hrtrob View Post
    Finally got my Lightning Red M/T 86 put down a 100k deposit at Toyota Cubao last June 6. It was a long 6 months but it was worth the wait! No in-house financing and trd kit requirement BS. They only requested that we get in-house insurance which was fine since it wasn't outrageously bloated.

FYI, I saw another 4 86s at Toyota Cubao. Another red, 2 white pearls and a black aero.
    Congrats! May hustiya din pala ang mundo! Good on Toyota Cubao!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hrtrob View Post

Tempting ung another red ah.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LiempoBoi View Post
    Saw a black one w/o kits + dealer plates inside the ateneo campus yesterday. The gt-86 really looks nice in black.
    There was also a blue one parked in JSEC the other day. Damn. Iba talaga pag may kapit si daddy.