New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, the Mustang is properly priced given the importation duties slapped on the cars. The Explorer Limited was way underpriced...

Take note that the 86 we get comes from Japan, and pricing will not be Identical to the US, nor will import duties be as high. This is like comparing California Oranges to Fuji Apples.

If you look at the prices of other US Imports, the Mustang's price tag is incredibly reasonable. The V6 price is a bit high, but I think the tactic is price pumping simply to encourage people to go the full Monty and get the V8.
    Last edited by niky; July 21st, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    dont worry, if its true that you can have the FT86 through in-house financing only, malamang magka presyo na sila ng mustang

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Actually, the Mustang is properly priced given the importation duties slapped on the cars. The Explorer Limited was way underpriced...

Take note that the 86 we get comes from Japan, and pricing will not be Identical to the US, nor will import duties be as high. This is like comparing California Oranges to Fuji Apples.

If you look at the prices of other US Imports, the Mustang's price tag is incredibly reasonable. The V6 price is a bit high, but I think the tactic is price pumping simply to encourage people to go the full Monty and get the V8.
    So niky, would you mind giving us a lesson on computing the pricing for cars?

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think they companies like TMPI gets taxed using "retail price" from the country of origin. Maybe if you import your car as a "normal citizen" (I don't really have the term for this), customs tax you retail price, but when it's a company based importation (HARI/TMPI/HCPH) I find it hard to believe that they have full retail price taxation.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For big cars, the tax is around 100%. for small engined cars, it's mich less. That's why Indian and Korean made mini cars are price competitive with ASEAN made cars (no additional tariffs beyond VAT, AFAIK).

Then you add retail markup.

Deakin touched on this in his article on the Ford plant closure... where he mentioned technical smuggling... The importer declares a lower retail price so they can pay lower taxes and get higher profits.as an example... Nissan GTR, 3.7 liter, so 100% tax (displacement over 2.7) plus 10% VAT plus 40% customs duties, should be 7.8m before importer markup... So how were they selling them for just 6.5 to 7.5m? Expected retail should be around 8.5 to 9m.

There are other ways that you can get around this. MotorImage is a Singaporean company, so gets ASEAN tax breaks on it's Japanese made cars... somehow... Others play with invoices... Vernon once outed a company for radically under-declaring their cars... But if a company claims it sells itself cars at that price, who's to say they don't?
    Last edited by niky; July 24th, 2012 at 12:44 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    For big cars, the tax is around 100%. for small engined cars, it's mich less. That's why Indian and Korean made mini cars are price competitive with ASEAN made cars (no additional tariffs beyond VAT, AFAIK).
    Very interesting. Thanks for the quick lesson. More questions, to help us understand pricing better:

1. How is "big car" defined? Engine size or vehicle size? Would the T86 qualify as a big engined small car or a big car?

2. Do 2-door coupes enjoy lower tarrifs and taxes vs. 4-door sedans? For example the Mustang V6 vs the Chrysler 300 V6. Both have V6 engines over 3.0L, both come from the US, yet the Mustang is lower priced by around 200k, if I'm not mistaken.

3. And related to Q2, and also asked by someone before, do Ford cars enjoy better pricing because they're directly under Ford Group International, unlike Chevy and Chrysler that are sold through local distributors?

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for the quick lesson. More questions, to help us understand pricing better:

1. How is "big car" defined? Engine size or vehicle size? Would the T86 qualify as a big engined small car or a big car?

2. Do 2-door coupes enjoy lower tarrifs and taxes vs. 4-door sedans? For example the Mustang V6 vs the Chrysler 300 V6. Both have V6 engines over 3.0L, both come from the US, yet the Mustang is lower priced by around 200k, if I'm not mistaken.

3. And related to Q2, and also asked by someone before, do Ford cars enjoy better pricing because they're directly under Ford Group International, unlike Chevy and Chrysler that are sold through local distributors?

Thanks!
    To be honest, I had to look up the customs duties, because I forgot to include them in the original post.

1. Cars are taxed based on engine size. 3.0 is the lower limit for the highest tax bracket at 100%. The lowest bracket is for under 1.6, I think, but I'm not sure. 2.0 is the lower margin for the next bracket after the 1.6s. I don't know the bracketing between 2.0 and 3.0... there are two brackets. And then, there's the JPEPA bracketing... anything 3.5 and ABOVE is exempt from extra duties. Yeah... that's a strange one.

2. Nope. Only body-type tax breaks here are for ambulances, 18-wheeler cargo trucks, buses, hearses and other construction and emergency vehicles. The only tax breaks for consumer vehicles here before were the old "AUV" (Asian Utility Vehicle, used for taxi service) tax exemptions that exempted "ten-seater vans" from tax duties. This was when the Revo and Crosswind started offering "luxury" variants at cut-throat prices. Then Honda ruined it for them by adding jump seats to the back of the CR-V and declaring it an AUV (even though Honda forbade people from making it into a taxi). After lawmakers saw how silly the law was, they repealed it.

3. Yup. Third party sellers add their mark-up to the retail price of the vehicle. Official distributors like HARI and Ford Group Philippines work off of dealer pricing and can specify the specs and trims they receive from the manufacturer in order to bring the pricing down.. Then there are those gray market suppliers who somehow sell the same vehicles at prices that won't even cover customs duties... ...but there's also a point at which a vehicle is so "niche" that the distributor or importer can charge whatever they want without having to worry about driving their customers away, so they attach an insane mark-up.

By and large, though, official dealership networks don't make as much money off of retail as people think, given the high post-duties prices.

-----

EDIT: Hard to find... but it's here:

Taxation for the imported cars and automobiles to the Philippines | DSAMCO Accounting Taxation & Management Services

Engine Displacement (in cc.)

Gasoline Diesel Tax Rate
    Up to 1600 Up to 1800 15%
    1601 to 2000 1801 to 2300 35%
    2001 to 2700 2301 to 3000 50%
    2701 or over 3001 to over 100%
    Last edited by niky; July 24th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    niky, based on the taxation schedule, it seems that for the Prius, only 15% shall apply.

but looking at the current price, the tax seems to be more than that.

possible that there are other taxes levied on imported vehicles other than what is provided in this specific tax code.

-------

I'll answer my own question hehehe

Chapter IV. Motor Vehicles, Boats & Yachts

8. IS THE IMPORTED VEHICLE SUBJECT TO TAXES AND DUTIES?

Yes. Whether brand-new or used, purchased or donated, the imported vehicle is subject to 40% Customs duty, 10% VAT and Ad Valorem Tax from 15% to 100% depending on its piston displacement. Its book value serves as the tax base and not the purchase price nor the acquisition cost. The book value is sourced from universally accepted motor vehicle reference books such as the Red Book, Blue Book, World Book depending on the origin of the imported vehicle.
    So for a vehicle priced at Php1 million prior to tax, it will automatically have a Php400,000 customs duty.

then add another Php100,000 (at least) as VAT

then another Php150,000 (at least) Ad Valorem

From Php1 million to Php1.65 million. I wonder how the Prius C costs without the customs duty.
    Last edited by fourtheboys96; July 24th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    niky, based on the taxation schedule, it seems that for the Prius, only 15% shall apply.

but looking at the current price, the tax seems to be more than that.

possible that there are other taxes levied on imported vehicles other than what is provided in this specific tax code.

-------

I'll answer my own question hehehe

Chapter IV. Motor Vehicles, Boats & Yachts

So for a vehicle priced at Php1 million prior to tax, it will automatically have a Php400,000 customs duty.

then add another Php100,000 (at least) as VAT

then another Php150,000 (at least) Ad Valorem

From Php1 million to Php1.65 million. I wonder how the Prius C costs without the customs duty.
    Yeah... posted that in my previous post... 40% yata? But only above a certain price.

Prius C starts at $19k in the US. That translates to 798k pesos... roughly... US has lower duties and tax breaks for hybrids.

Add Customs duties and taxes and that comes out to at least 1.23m. Add dealer mark-up or whatever... and you get the 1.45m for the basic model. They want the cancellation of duties, that would bring the retail price down to 1.0 to 1.1m for the basic model. Still 300k higher than pure gasoline cars in the same bracket, but much more palatable.

It's something to note... if the dealer is not an official distributor, they'll also be paying the taxes in the market where they're buying from, which also increases the price.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    If that is so, then mas ok pala talaga ang import than producing here.

I don't believe that's underdeclaring the value, eh Kung yun ba ang pasa eh from Korea or Thailand or Japan.

Dun Lang naman nakasalalay ang computation. ang butas LNG naman nakita ko dito eh yun VAT, Syempre without invoice pwede na I hocus-pocus yan.

I think we should rid ourselves of that Mitsu, Toyota, Honda Plant that manufactures the local lancer, vios, city. ang mangyari eh nagkakarun ng minimum eh whereas Baka pwede pa nga bumaba ang price in imported cars thru global competition.

anyways, nationalistic attitude will deter this, but do think multinational companies yan - there's no nationalism there. Dapat full-import na lang

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Haha... that's the OB I know...