New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 33 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Confirmed na ba yun price increase?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A transmission is a transmission. All that's needed is to make the manual change mode responsive.

Like I've said... the only advantage I've ever seen with DCTs (and I've driven both DCT and AT performance cars) is that the actual shift itself is almost instantaneous... but with enough power, you won't notice the difference.

What's 0.2 seconds extra waiting time if you've got a car that can still get to 100 km/h in 6-7 seconds, anyway? And yes, traditional AT have more losses than DCTs, but with the lower drag, better gearing and new lock-up clutches on modern automatics, they don't feel stirring a pot of molasses when going down the road.

Would I trade the traditional 6-speed ZF automatic in the Genesis Coupe for a DCT for faster shifts? No. Not really. Because DCTs buck, jerk and hesitate in traffic... and sacrificing that last few tenths of speed per lap on the track for something more civil in the real world is worth it. (Well... the SMT in the M5 was even worse... ) The easiest way to make DCTs smooth? Add a torque converter.

That's why luxury cars still use traditional automatics. And that's why it doesn't matter if the 86 has a traditional automatic. Because while a DCT would make it a 10% better track car, it would make it a 20% worse road car.
    Last edited by niky; July 18th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post

Although, I really like the engine...But i just read somewhere that Nissan is manufacturing a Jazz-like car which is supercharged...That's another car to look up to...
    A Nissan that is a Honda Jazz like car with superchargers? well ok, for arguments sake nga na magkaroon. Paano kung hindi DCT yung AT transmission? ayaw mo na din?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post

Although, I really like the engine...But i just read somewhere that Nissan is manufacturing a Jazz-like car which is supercharged...That's another car to look up to...
    If that car will exist, that is all you can do: look up to it because it will take Nissan ages to launch it in the Ph, that is IF they decide to bring it here.

If you're really concerned about how the AT and MT variants of the 86 stack up, watch this. It's a comparo of a Scion FRS MT vs a Subaru BRZ AT. There may be differences in the overall experience, but if transmission is your concern, just listen to what the reviewer says:

Btw, the MT 86 has the same specs and features as the AT. It's the Aero trim that has more amenities.
    Last edited by JackFlash; July 19th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Because while a DCT would make it a 10% better track car, it would make it a 20% worse road car.
    Baka mag-track din ng 5 to 6 times a week

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    A Nissan that is a Honda Jazz like car with superchargers? well ok, for arguments sake nga na magkaroon. Paano kung hindi DCT yung AT transmission? ayaw mo na din?

Exactly, kaya nga nung una Mazda yung plano kong bilhin dahil sa skyactiv tranny nila, tapos dumating yung FT86, medyo ayaw ko ng AT according sa mga specs na nababasa ko. So ngayon yung Mazda naman ang aantayin ko. Pero syempre try ko pa rin magtest drive ng FT86 baka naman kasi hindi lang basta ordinaryong AT ang nakalagay dun at syempre hintay pa rin ng mga reviews. Ang ayaw ko lang talaga sa mga conventional ATs ay lag talaga yung tranny sa rpm eh. Konting pasensya lang sa pag-aantay at sigurado akong may makakagawa rin ng close to perfect ng tech dyan sa mga manufacturers. Sa ngayon stick muna ako sa kotse ko na manual at AT.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What' s the newest automatic you've driven? New transmissions haven't done that for the past few years, already. (Note: new. transmissions in "legacy" models like the Crosswind and APV don't count).

Old automatics used to slip until you got to the stall point for the torque converter... usually 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm.

New automatics have locking-clutches that completely stop the transmission from slipping above 1500 rpm when you're in fourth, fifth, sixth and etcetera gears. Even in lower gears, the stall point for the converter is no longer so high, since first gear is usually lower now than in traditional four speeds with a first gear longer than the SONA. Thus, excessive slippage is no longer needed for smooth take-off.

The torque converter may not be the big thing, any more, but this ain't your granny's tranny no mo'.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    madaming alam pero poser lang ata si erick_214 e.

:peace:

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    magaling sumagot si erick pero poser lang ata e.

churi churi
    :peace:

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    I'm waiting for a Chery QQ with DCT.

Kelan kaya labas nun? May balita ba kayo guys?