New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I just bought a brand new 2010 vios. This is a 1.3J model with manual trans. Before anything else, thanks to tsikot for helping me decide to buy this.

All in all, i'm pretty satisfied with the car, however it seems the fuel consumption is bad. I'm getting around 7km/liter with mostly city driving. I searched and it seemed that this is a bad fuel consumption as compared to what i saw such as 10 to 15 km/liter as what other claim.

The car has a millage of around 400km only. Im doing the full tank method for measuring the consumption.

question:

1. Is the consumption for a brand new suppose to be like this? (7km/liter)
    2. Will the consumption improve after the first 1000km check up?
    3. Is my driving method has something to do with this?

Answers will greatly be appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    10 to 15 km/liter as what other claim.
    Possible kung long drive. Kahit 1.5G A/T nagagawa iyan.

Yes. Bago pa kasi yan. Nag aadjust pa lahat at nag uumpisa palang ang wear & tear ng engine.

Dapat lang. Pag hindi, may mali na.

Sa ngayon wala muna. Pag break in period dapat palagi mo pinapa-hataw yung car para maging maganda yung performance after 1000KM change oil

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    why not travel you new car to a farther place like baguio or batangas or ilocos (or put a place here) at ihataw mo para mas maganda ang FC mo.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Is this your first car or you're driving a car for a long time?

1. Nagshishift ka ba sa 3k RPM or mas mataas pa?
    2. Babad ka ba lagi sa primera segunda?
    3. Are you revving too much before you can move the car from stop?
    4. Check your tire pressure and the reading should be 29 to 30 psi in all wheels.

Tama sila try mong mag-out of town then measure your consumption. Vios 1.3 can do 12 to 15 km/L on long drive.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    What's your average trip distance in a day?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just give it time. I'd look also more on your driving habits at this point since you're still getting used to the car as well (city driving? lots of short distances? load?).

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's normal.

There's a wide range of fuel economy a car can get in different conditions. My Lynx RS can get as high as 16 km/l and go as low as 6-7 km/l, depending on the situation.

I've also seen (from a previous generation Honda City) highs of over 20 km/l and lows of around 8 km/l.

Your car hasn't been fully broken in, yet, so it'll get better... but if you drive in rush hour for short distances, don't expect it to improve much from 7 km/l. If you leave home earlier and beat the rush, though, you can possibly stretch it to around 10 km/l.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ann jelynne View Post
    question:

7km/liter is quite bad fuel mileage. I drive a Gen 1 Vios 1.3MT, and I would think the fuel consumption should not be significantly different. The current Vios weighs more but FC shouldn't suffer that bad. My worst reading on my Vios was a 9.8km/li, that was when my car was still new. Now, I get around 12.2-13.0km/li, and that's just pure city driving, and 2/3 of the time during the rush hours pa.

Although I did change some of my driving habits too to reach that FC level. Before I got my Vios, I used to drive A/T, and I used to do jack-rabbit starts a lot of late braking (kasi ayaw ko magpa-overtake dati ). I also did that nung bago pa Vios ko.

Now, I still do jack rabbit starts sometimes (but I only do that if maluwag ang kalsada sa harap coming from a stoplight), and I still currently shift gears between 2000-2500rpm, but ang importante, I coast na when I reach 60-80 in 5th gear. I hardly do heavy and late braking now. And if traffic, light lang on the accelerator, then coast even at speeds of 30-40... believe me, this would do wonders for your FC. Release the gas for the car to naturally slow down, then apply brakes lang as needed.

Driving methods I believe is the most important factor in the car's FC. Yung isang kotse ng sister ko may trip computer, when she drives it -- pure city driving also -- she get's just about 8.5km/li on the trip meter. Medyo same kasi driving habits nya sa dati kong driving habits. Paghinihiram ko kotse nya ngayon and I reset the meter, I get around 10.5km/li on the same car.

Plan your route (to avoid heavy traffic) and go easy on the pedal. You will get better mileage with your car.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I know that driving habits can affect the FC but i did not know that it can affect that much.

Before this car, i drive the Pajero of my father. Its a diesel and manual trans. And being a diesel, i usually have the gas pedal deep. And i always use the clucth. But i always coast and anticipate stopping to avoid too much braking.

And yes, medyo nagaadjust pa ako sa VIOS na gas. I often overrev at the first gear. I usually change gear around 2000 RPM. I always coast as well. I also changed my driving habits in a way that i dont clutch as much even in a 3rd gear while decelerating. I got this idea from the net. It said that you should let the VVTi take over. I don't know if this works.

However, i have very short trip in a day. And yes, always trafic. A 2.5km trip from my house to work will take 30 to 45 mins. Maybe this is a big factor.

I try to take longer trip. Maybe Tagaytay.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    +1 sa coasting style of driving. Ako rin, nagco-coast kapag city driving and my speed is at 40 km/h. Normal FC ng Vios namin sa city driving (with 10% hway) is 12km/L. Once ko pa lang nasusukat sa City eh. The best I got was 20.64km/L. 4 people on the car with medium weight baggages. Almost pure highway (10% city).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
2010 Vios bad fuel consumption