New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Change the oil every 5,000kms. There are too many cases of sludging already that occured with those who followed the 10K change oil service interval.

Plugs - NGK BKR6E-11
    Coolant - Anything red (i just buy the premix at the Toyota dealer) then add in a bottle of RP Purple Ice or Red Line Water Wetter if you want.
    PS Fluid - any Dexron III rated ATF will do
    Brake Fluid - Prestone DOT 3
    Motor Oil - Shell, Caltex, Mobil, Royal Purple, etc... almost any oil with at least API SL/SM rating should do. If you want to avoid any possible leaks, go with 20W40 or 15W-40 weight oil. What's important is you change every 5,000kms.

don't forget to clean the brakes every 10,000kms and have the MAF sensor cleaned as well with some contact cleaner or carb cleaner (its the sensor after the airbox). Have your fuel filter and air filters checked as well.

On the timing belt, the Altis uses a timing chain and this does not need any replacement.

"PS Fluid - any Dexron III rated ATF will do" ---> Question, I recently filled by 2002 Altis E with a Dexron III rated atf. However, I read that Dexron III ATFs are GM electronic transmission compliant when Toyotas require the Type T-IV ATF. Is your transmission okay despite using a non-oem specified ATF? Kakatakot kasi. I might have my ATF drained again this weekend. Last week lang ako nagpalit. Hehe! Nakakatakot kasi yung mga sabi nang mga tao baka masira daw tranny ko.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lantis07 View Post
    "PS Fluid - any Dexron III rated ATF will do" ---> Question, I recently filled by 2002 Altis E with a Dexron III rated atf. However, I read that Dexron III ATFs are GM electronic transmission compliant when Toyotas require the Type T-IV ATF. Is your transmission okay despite using a non-oem specified ATF? Kakatakot kasi. I might have my ATF drained again this weekend. Last week lang ako nagpalit. Hehe! Nakakatakot kasi yung mga sabi nang mga tao baka masira daw tranny ko.
    My car is a manual transmission. Its the PS fluid i was pertaining to in that post and thats what is specified on the PS fluid cap.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
2004' Altis question