New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    hello mga sirs,

we're looking for a 350k 2nd hand car po kasi and some folks from here suggested a 2002 altis for that...ask lang po ako for a couple of things:

1. Issues? What to look out for when buying a 2nd hand unit of altis?
    2. FC? 1.8g and 1.6g a/t
    3. Reliability/ Cost of Parts
    4. Ride Comfort?

thanks po mga sirs!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Generally speaking, I have not heard of any major issues with the Altis. If there would be any, it's poor maintenance of the previous owner (since you are buying a 2nd hand)

As for the FC, i'd say that the 1.6 and 1.8 are comparable. This would vary of the following:

1) Maintenance of vehicle
    2) Driving habit
    3) Road/traffic condition

Difference between a 1.6 and the 1.8 vary more on the ammenities of one to the other.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Possible problems would include the oil control valve failing due to poor maintenance (not any more serious than a failing VTEC solenoid)... poor transmission condition (like any secondhand AT)... failing shocks and/or brakes. Nothing really major, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I've seen common problem with the power window motors failing prematurely for this model. Don't know if motor problem, or a design problem with the windows, straining the motor too much.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The culprit is the rubber seal of glass window. It hardens in time and during window operation, the friction between the rubber seal and the glass is causing motor strain. Just spray silicone spray regularly on the rubber to lessen the friction.

2002 altis (1.8g/1.6g--a/t) 2nd hand