New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    my family is planning to buy a 1989 toyota corolla as an extra car especially during coding days. actually, the seller will present the car on saturday. is it a reliable car? what is its fuel consumption?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beereo View Post
    my family is planning to buy a 1989 toyota corolla as an extra car especially during coding days. actually, the seller will present the car on saturday. is it a reliable car? what is its fuel consumption?
    Its almost 20 years old, so expect the car to have a lot of worn out parts (assuming the person selling it hasn't replaced these parts yet).

We have '90 Corolla 1.6 GL, and in the past 6-7 years we've replaced a lot of worn out parts already including the suspension bushings, shocks, engine mounts, radiator hose etc.
    This year, the engine was overhauled and now gets at least 8.5-9 km/L mixed city/highway(mostly city) driving which I believe is close to what it was getting when it was new.
    For an old car I guess you can consider it reliable, so far its running like new... well almost.
    Last edited by AG4; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:43 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    it's a classic. good project car and 2nd car for coding.

get it :D

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ayus yan xl5 type ko din bumili nyan

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It really depends on the following:
    -the car's current owner (if he has repaired/replaced broken & worn parts)
    -those parts (are they original, surplus or just "replacement" parts?)
    -the car's history (has it been in a big accident and was the repairs done properly?)
    -rust on the body? (by now it should have been repainted at least once)
    -the car's current total mileage (is the engine due for overhaul? If already done, was it done properly? Was an engine swap done?)
    -other car's expensive parts (is the aircon, alternator, etc working 100%?)

Anyway, if the car is in good maintenance, it can be a good buy. But you have to consider the current age of the car (almost 20 years). Although the AE89 Corolla is still popular, there are other cars of less "vintage" which can be a better choice.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 3rd, 2008 at 08:49 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    thank you very much for the pieces of advice that you guys have given me. i have a new question regarding this car. what are its specifications if it's a GL?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    thank you very much for the pieces of advice that you guys have given me. i have a new question regarding this car. what are its specifications if it's a GL?
    Very basic specs...
    Engine: 92PS DOHC 16-valve inline-4 "4A-F" engine (carburetor)
    Power features: Zero!
    Standard 60:40 split folding rear seats
    Standard 13 inch alloy wheels with 175/70R13 tires
    Curb weight: 960kg
    Last edited by AG4; October 4th, 2008 at 03:03 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Regarding "original" versus "replacement" parts -

The term "original" refers to genuine Toyota parts, and does not mean original parts installed on the said vehicle when it was released from the factory. On the other hand, "replacement" parts means aftermarket, non-genuine parts that still reflect original equipment manufacturer specifications. They may not be replaced with the same Toyota parts, but by "unbranded" parts not labeled as being from Toyota.

See, manufacturers put their brand names on the parts. But if it's for official dealer use, it's usually marked up and has the dealer brand name on it (regardless of car make). These are commonly called "original" while the rest is "replacement" parts. A "Toyota" alternator is called original but a Bosch unit of the exact same specifications is replacement parts. Typically of very, very similar quality most of the time.

Just want to clarify that. We have a '92 Corolla that already has 240k miles on the odometer and still runs. Not in the best of shape or form, but it still gets by and does highway runs daily.

The cost of the vehicle in question usually reflects the condition it is in. If it's cheap, take note that parts may need to be changed soon, or repaired. Find a good mechanic first before you get one, have a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done to ascertain what the true condition is, then decide from there.

Even if it's an old reliable Toyota, much of that also depends on the service and maintenance history of the car. Toyotas are tough, but any car will eventually fail if abused.

1989 toyota corolla