New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sekbomb
    guys, whats the true hp rating ba of the 2zz-ge engine of toyota? kasi, when sportcompact magazine dyno tested the matrix(1.8), 159.9 hp lumabas. they dyno tested it first b4 they installed a turbo charger. after installing the turbo, 210+ hp na.

kala ko ba 180 hp?
    SAE rated the crank HP and to get the REAL wheel HP, you would typically do this:

crank HP minus 15% = REAL WHP.

To add, a lot of accidents happen because the owner/user of the car neglected the stopping power capability. Yes, you have a high HP and the Pirelli but without the 4 or 6-pot brake system, you can't stop whenever you wanted to.

I agree, those dumb a$$es who gets into an accident are the reason (irresponsibility) why Insurance company raises the premium.

that's why imprezas are sold very high even though it's just a 4-door saloon.
    sorry, will you rephrase this, just couldn't understand what your point was. thanx

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the impreza is sold much higher than what its classification is becasue it's extraordinarily fast as compared to other cars. imagine selling a wrx for just 900k! then everyone would surely buy one, and surely accidents would be left and right!the impreza is sold much higher than what its classification is becasue it's extraordinarily fast as compared to other cars. imagine selling a wrx for just 900k! then everyone would surely buy one, and surely accidents would be left and right!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    the impreza is sold much higher than what its classification is becasue it's extraordinarily fast as compared to other cars. imagine selling a wrx for just 900k! then everyone would surely buy one, and surely accidents would be left and right!the impreza is sold much higher than what its classification is becasue it's extraordinarily fast as compared to other cars. imagine selling a wrx for just 900k! then everyone would surely buy one, and surely accidents would be left and right!
    Do you mean, the reason why Impreza WRXs are so expensive is to prevent buyers from buying and getting into an accident?! Or do you mean, Impreza is FAST?! If so, I dont agree with you. Your statement seems to contradict as I read its entirety.

This statement...
    the impreza is sold much higher than what its classification is becasue it's extraordinarily fast as compared to other cars.
    and this statement...
    imagine selling a wrx for just 900k! then everyone would surely buy one, and surely accidents would be left and right!
    Does not belong together my friend...

The ONLY VALID reason according to your statement, and I found it to be right is....the first paragraph of your post.

the impreza is sold much higher than what its classification is becasue it's extraordinarily fast and AWD as compared to other cars.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i see that you can't get my point. to make it as simple as it is, imagine if mitsubishi would sell the evo8 at 1.3M? it's as cheap as any awd mini-suv's right?

now this means any driver, be skilled or not can have access to a high performance car. thhe question is CAN THEY HANDLE IT? now this will be where our problem lie. like the SiR, arm a dumb driver with a car capable of terminal speeds, disaster would definitely strike.

that's why the need to price the evo8 at 3.2M or rather the impreza wrx at 2.1M is needed so that not all people can have access to it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The high price of the Evo's and Impreza's emanates from both cars' engine technology, safety features, high performance parts such as suspension, brakes, and other specially made gadgets such as short-shifters, mortor sport gauges, sport seats, etc... Hence, because of these features, the all-in price plus tax (remeber it's a CBU) is relatively high!

I am afraid that it does not make sense to jack up the price of cars because you do not want it to be widely available. You bring in these high-performance cars because you want them sold-Period.

PEACE!:D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfire
    The high price of the Evo's and Impreza's emanates from both cars' engine technology, safety features, high performance parts such as suspension, brakes, and other specially made gadgets such as short-shifters, mortor sport gauges, sport seats, etc... Hence, because of these features, the all-in price plus tax (remeber it's a CBU) is relatively high!

I am afraid that it does not make sense to jack up the price of cars because you do not want it to be widely available. You bring in these high-performance cars because you want them sold-Period.

PEACE!:D
    Paul, you should read woodfire's statement. I dont get your point since your statements do contradict.

Its either expensive:
    BECAUSE its a HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR

OR...

Prevent irresponsible consumers from buying it (which is soooo wrong).

but not BOTH.

great point woodfire!

EVO8, WRX etc are sold with high prices due to its characteristics and specs NOT because manufacturers does not want any irresponsible drivers owning it. According to your statement, you think people who has the money are more skilled than the people who cant afford it. thats just being elitist my friend...and WRONG. :wink:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    woodfire, i apologize for exagerating my point, but isn't our taxing scheme put a very high premium on high performance cars? that's what i'm driving at. the government deviced this for the purpose of high-performance cars not being accessible to all. that's also why when mitsu bring in evos here they only bring in in limited numbers. even the 200sx were limited, imprezas are by order, they don't stock it.

also karding, it becomes expensive because of our taxing scheme. if it is solely te maufacturer's call to price the car then it would be cheaper.

it's expensive both because it's a high performance car and because of the taxing.

a US spec evo8 costs $34,200, converted to peso would be P1.7M. mitsubishi is selling it at 3.2M. at 1.7m expedition buyers, or even trooper or patrol buyers will opt to buy a high-performance car. if i'm a rav4 buyer, heck i'll just add 400k and i have an evo! so you see it will make it accessible to drivers who are not performance incline just for porma, and not handle the huge amount of power it brings. buti sana if all drivers would be like us, who can handle these kinds of car diba?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Paul, yeah you're right. the tax on CBU's or completely built units almost double the price of the car. well, of course the base price of these high performance cars are already pretty high to start with because of their features.

the tax scheme here was intended to support the local car manufacturing industry by penalizing (via high duties and taxes) the importation of CBU's.

There are exceptions though. Malacanang gave Ford and Chrysler special tax breaks in bringing in a limited number of CBU's (mostly SUV's and trucks). Malacanang was encouraging both, especially Chrysler, to establish manufacturing operations here. Hence, you see competitively priced durango's, dakota's and suburbans in Manila.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul

also karding, it becomes expensive because of our taxing scheme. if it is solely te maufacturer's call to price the car then it would be cheaper.

it's expensive both because it's a high performance car and because of the taxing.
    thats funny bro. Like what woodfire said, WRX are expensive to start off BECAUSE of its capabilities and performance. The higher the cost of the car the higher the cost of the TAX right? And why does WRX is so expensive (to start off again)?? BECAUSE of it's features and specs...Period.

Again, WRX are being sold at its price NOT BECAUSE Subaru executives doesnt wanna sell it and avoid accidents. They are being sold at what it's WORTH. As I said earlier, those two statements DOES NOT belong together or doesn't JIVE at all.

It's either or, but not BOTH.

Period.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    ..........basta for me juz one to see one of those toyotas on the road .....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
180hp Altis!