New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    When you travel at a slower speed, there's a greater risk of being hit by other vehicles that are travelling faster. That's why the rightmost lanes in our expressways are for slow moving vehicles, so they won't be rolling hazards to the faster-moving speedsters on the left.

When entering roundabouts for example i.e. Quezon Memorial Circle, it is generally safer to merge by approximating the speed of the vehicles travelling within the radius, instead of going in at a slower pace where they are more likely to collide into you and cause an accident.
    Naturally. when you are in the expressway, right lane is for slower vehicles. Yet, in the NLEX, many vehicles are overtaking on the right side. the reason? the guy on the left lane is driving 100 kph, which is the speed limit. the overtaking guy is driving 140 kph. so, who poses the hazard to driving?
    Now, on merging vehicles, the faster vehicle observed or noticed that a slow vehicle had merged in his lane, what he will do? he has to slow down or veer away. if he hit that slow moving vehicle, was that the fault of the slow moving driver?
    now, guys and gals, we will also reach the point wherein we wont be able to drive as fast as we used to. then that's the time to slow down as our reflexes were not what they used to be. so, methink it is easier for us to try to understand them slow drivers now, that for us later to let them understand the way we drive.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burjegol View Post
    such as?
    methink minimum speed is set to maintain the pace and max speed to increase the margin of safety factor.
    It is easy to declare that driving slowly is hazardous and driving fast is safe.
    Point out the hazards it may cause and its valid reason. as i have stated previously, a collision in slow speed is much more survivable than in a high speed.
    the way you say it, your implying that the rule of safe driving and survivable collision happens only if you drive slowly.. it make sense though you must always remember, for every rule there is always an exemption.. driving 40kph on a minimum 60kph expressway spells danger, not safety..

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Naturally. when you are in the expressway, right lane is for slower vehicles. Yet, in the NLEX, many vehicles are overtaking on the right side. the reason? the guy on the left lane is driving 100 kph, which is the speed limit. the overtaking guy is driving 140 kph. so, who poses the hazard to driving?
    Easy: the guy who is driving at 100kph, because he has absolutely no business lingering in the leftmost lane, which is for overtaking vehicles only. That was what I meant by saying that other drivers will be forced to use unsafe maneuvers just to pass a slower-moving vehicle.

Exceeding the speed limit on the leftmost lane is forgivable, provided you go back to within the maximum speed limit (and the proper lane) once you've finished overtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by burjegol
    Now, on merging vehicles, the faster vehicle observed or noticed that a slow vehicle had merged in his lane, what he will do? he has to slow down or veer away. if he hit that slow moving vehicle, was that the fault of the slow moving driver?
    Yes. Again, see LTO violation #76. But in the Philippines, the police are much too simplistic in their approach: if you hit it, whatever the circumstance, you're automatically at fault.

now, guys and gals, we will also reach the point wherein we wont be able to drive as fast as we used to. then that's the time to slow down as our reflexes were not what they used to be. so, methink it is easier for us to try to understand them slow drivers now, that for us later to let them understand the way we drive.
    When our reflexes adversely affect the way we drive, then that's the time when we have no business being behind the wheel anymore. It would be more logical to just get someone else to do the driving for us.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 6th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004

Lastly, driving slowly is listed as Violation #76 - Obstruction under LTO guidelines: "Obstructing the free passage of other vehicles on the highway while discharging or taking passengers or loading and unloading freight, or driving a motor vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct or impede the passage of any vehicle."

Further reading:

http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/drivetooslow.htm

http://www.osoyoostimes.com/letters-...the-fast-ones/
    Sir, this code, does it applies to the rant of the TS? He mentioned slow drivers in ordinary city roads. 1. does it obstructs the road? naturally, exempted ito sa second clause as we are talking about private vehicles. now on the B clause, does the slow driver obstructs or impedes the passage of any vehicle? obstructs, definitely no, as the vehicle is also moving. impedes? well depends on the way you look at it. If there is a possiblity of passing the slow vehicle by overtaking, then I think, again, I think the slow driver is not impeding the passage of any vehicle.
    now on the freeways, this is another story. there are indicated speed limits, minimum and maximum, unless you are driving in the autobahn wherein the max speed limit is your heart or teh capability of your vehicle

Easy: the guy who is driving at 100kph, because he has absolutely no business lingering in the leftmost lane, which is for overtaking vehicles only. That was what I meant by saying that other drivers will be forced to use unsafe maneuvers just to pass a slower-moving vehicle.

Exceeding the speed limit on the leftmost lane is forgivable, provided you go back to within the maximum speed limit (and the proper lane) once you've finished overtaking.

Sir, he stays at the innermost lane because he thinks is driving at the max speed imposed thus, in his theory, he is the fastest . exceeding the speed limit never occured in his way of thinking.

When our reflexes adversely affect the way we drive, then that's the time when we have no business being behind the wheel anymore. It would be more logical to just get someone else to do the driving for us.
    sir, reallly it is very difficult for a human being to admit his failings. Human nature natin ito. We used to think, gawain ko dati ito, so kaya ko pa rin. We never realized that as we age, our motor functions also deteriorates. Kaya mahirap ma admit ng mga dating excellent drivers na bumabagal na ang pagmamaneho nila sa kadahilanan na mabagal na ang reaction time nila. it's difficult to convince na better kumuha na lang sila ng mag drive para sa kanila. just like my neighbor in teh province. he was 80 yrs old, still driving, malabo na ang paningin, mabagal na mag maneho yet, ayaw pa rin kumuha ng mag drive para sa kanya. sagot nya, "kaya ko pa"

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Sir, this code, does it applies to the rant of the TS? He mentioned slow drivers in ordinary city roads. 1. does it obstructs the road? naturally, exempted ito sa second clause as we are talking about private vehicles. now on the B clause, does the slow driver obstructs or impedes the passage of any vehicle? obstructs, definitely no, as the vehicle is also moving. impedes? well depends on the way you look at it. If there is a possiblity of passing the slow vehicle by overtaking, then I think, again, I think the slow driver is not impeding the passage of any vehicle.
    now on the freeways, this is another story. there are indicated speed limits, minimum and maximum, unless you are driving in the autobahn wherein the max speed limit is your heart or teh capability of your vehicle
    When you obstruct or impede a process, you are in effect delaying it and making it more difficult than necessary to take place; it does not have to stop altogether. So whether it's in city roads or expressways, it's the same inconvenience and the same net effect. There's a reason why traffic jams are a now considered a serious threat to the country's economy.

sir, reallly it is very difficult for a human being to admit his failings. Human nature natin ito. We used to think, gawain ko dati ito, so kaya ko pa rin. We never realized that as we age, our motor functions also deteriorates. Kaya mahirap ma admit ng mga dating excellent drivers na bumabagal na ang pagmamaneho nila sa kadahilanan na mabagal na ang reaction time nila. it's difficult to convince na better kumuha na lang sila ng mag drive para sa kanila. just like my neighbor in teh province. he was 80 yrs old, still driving, malabo na ang paningin, mabagal na mag maneho yet, ayaw pa rin kumuha ng mag drive para sa kanya. sagot nya, "kaya ko pa"
    Unfortunately, a lot of people have this perception that a driver's license is a human right. Thing is, it's not nearly as essential to human existence as food, clothing or shelter. Being a motorist is a privilege that can be revoked anytime under certain conditions.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    there's a reason for the medical exam prior to license renewal.

unfortunately it's not taken seriously in this country.

and regarding the speed: there have been instances that I have been going a moderate 60 kph on commonwealth or on central avenue, and nearly meeting an accident because of a very slow car or tricycle that suddenly appeared because they were being obscured from sight by a hill.

and in inclines - sometimes it's hard to get the engine to steam if you're suddenly hampered by a slowpoke in front. on A/T's, this isn't a problem, but if you're driving a loaded M/T, it's frustrating at times

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Kung nandito kayo sa middle east at ang presyo ng gasolina ay 15 pesos per liter, iisipin nyo pa kaya magtipid?

Kaya hindi iniisip ng mga tao dito magtipid ng gasolina.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Sir, he stays at the innermost lane because he thinks is driving at the max speed imposed thus, in his theory, he is the fastest . exceeding the speed limit never occured in his way of thinking.
    Maximum speed limits on expressways should refer to cruising, not overtaking which is only a brief maneuver when done correctly, safely and within a reasonable margin (up to 10kph in excess). For example, I'm cruising at the 100kph speed limit in the middle lane of the NLEX. A car comes up from behind intending to pass me, so it takes the leftmost lane and powers through at 110kph to get past me while I reduce speed to help him with the maneuver, and once clear it merges back into the middle lane and falls again to within the maximum speed limit. This is why the leftmost lane on our highways must be kept clear at all times except for overtaking.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 9th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Driving slow means you consume less fuel but you get very little done over a period of time.

That is not necessarily efficient.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    Driving slow means you consume less fuel but you get very little done over a period of time.

That is not necessarily efficient.
    Slow doesnt mean less fuel consumed.

Case in point: Using the same car, first drive it at 20kph at 2nd gear. Then increase the speed to 60kph at 5th gear. You'll probably consume more fuel at 20kph.

My point is, as what has been mentioned before, speed will not give us a complete idea of how much fuel a car will consume. Other factors have to be considered.
    Last edited by fourtheboys96; August 10th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Pinoy Drivers amongst the most fuel efficient [Businessworld]