New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hmmm... seems authentic since the shadow of the head is perfectly positioned. (although her head tilt seems not right). and yes, f-16 isn't called a viper. it's only known as the falcon and nato designated with the same name. weird though, she didn't apply for an F-22 or F-35.

but i'd be more surprised or proud even having a pinoy piloting a russian jet since it's more difficult.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    What the heck is a "Viper"? The F-16 is known only as the Fighting Falcon and the Air Force doesn't use snakes in naming their aircraft, the Navy uses snakes in their names.

Naturalized citizens are allowed to fly fighters for the Air Force not just US born citizens.
    She's a Captain now let us hope she is good enough to go up the next rank since that is when the men are separated from the boys. Then she'll get to live on the street with the Colonels and General.
    Don't want to spoil your day but...

A "Viper" is another name for a poisonous snake. Also, there's the Dodge VIPER. there's also a gun codenamed VIPER. A Robot, motorcycle and many other things that called VIPER.

I've checked out GOOGLE on this. as for aircrafts...also a big YES. Checkout GOOGLE IMAGES and type in Viper Aircraft. There's a trainer that is called VIPER and get this...an F-16.
    Checkout this site: https//www.philippecolin.net.

While the F-16s is the prefered aircraft by the USAF and the the prefered aircraft of the USN is the F-18, the USN also uses the F-16s

As for promotions, A Fil-Am won a congressional seat in the recent US Election so I have no doubts that this lady can get into the upper echelons.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008

Take a good look at the tail insignia

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    wow..galing naman ng pinay..congrats!!
    Last edited by low_profile2; November 8th, 2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo error

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Oo nga naman..... Viper nga yang tail insignia... Diba nga kamukha din yan nung logo ng Viper Alarm System ng mga kotse?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyChaser View Post

Take a good look at the tail insignia

6. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    rom flying T- 38, she had an option of choosing from different aircrafts like the F-15E Strike Eagle, F-15C Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon, B-1B Lancer, A-10 Warthog, B-52 Stratofortress, and F/A-22 Raptor, and T-6 or T-38 are also options. After her T-38 course, Monessa requested to fly an F-16 Falcon, and she got what she wanted
    wow she also had a choice to fly an A-10, is this the tank killer?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    er...only cobras have that 'hood', right, and not vipers?

anyways, i hear women make better pilots....something about their bodies make them better suited for the stresses of flight.

but heck, if all female pilots look that nice....i surrender! :D

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    er...only cobras have that 'hood', right, and not vipers?
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viperidae:

Almost all vipers have keeled scales, a stocky build with a short tail, and, due to the location of the venom glands, a triangular-shaped head distinct from the neck.
    Although hindi naman yata kasing-lapad ng sa cobra, and I agree that the insignia is more cobra-like.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyChaser View Post
    Don't want to spoil your day but...

A "Viper" is another name for a poisonous snake. Also, there's the Dodge VIPER. there's also a gun codenamed VIPER. A Robot, motorcycle and many other things that called VIPER.

I've checked out GOOGLE on this. as for aircrafts...also a big YES. Checkout GOOGLE IMAGES and type in Viper Aircraft. There's a trainer that is called VIPER and get this...an F-16.
    Checkout this site: https//www.philippecolin.net.

While the F-16s is the prefered aircraft by the USAF and the the prefered aircraft of the USN is the F-18, the USN also uses the F-16s

As for promotions, A Fil-Am won a congressional seat in the recent US Election so I have no doubts that this lady can get into the upper echelons.
    Really what Navy Squadron still uses the F16? To the best of my knowledge the F16 was not accepted by the Navy which is the reason the F18 was made, the F16 did not meet the criteria of the Navy. The exception being the 26 F16N which was used by the Navy until the arrival of the F18 as a bridge for the gap after the F5 and A4 was retired and was in active use for only 10 years.

The picture is a Viper but that is not the official name of the F16 that may be the squadron name for that particular unit so they have a snake on the tail. Similar to the unit here in Guam that is known as Red Horse, maybe they like the beer at least it's not Tanduay. Just because the insignia is on a plane does not make it the official name, I have seen F15 with sharks on it but it is still known as the Eagle or Strike Eagle. The official name of the F16 is Fighting Falcon, Viper was considered during it's development but not used because another aircraft in development already had that name. Viper may be an unofficial name for the aircraft along with the others used by different countries. BTW you couldn't spoil my day even if you tried.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Viper: the unofficial nickname

Featured Articles

F-16 Fighting Falcon, F16, or Viper?

F-16 Featured Articles
    By Stefaan Vanhastel
    Introduction

Ever wondered about the origin of the name "F-16 Fighting Falcon"? Or is it F-16 Viper? And what is wrong with F16? This article provides a short overview of the official designation and names for the F-16 Fighting Falcon, and some of the commonly used nicknames.

F-16 Fighting Falcon, not F16 Fighting Falcon

The US Tri-Service Designation System for aircraft defines a standard notation for aircraft models. In its basic form, it consists of:
    a capital letter denoting the basic mission (e.g. 'F' for fighter, 'A' for attack)
    a mandatory dash '-'
    the design number (e.g. 14, 15, 16, 117, 130)
    According to this standard, F-16 is the only correct designation for the Fighting Falcon. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for (non-aviation) publications to incorrectly use F16 Fighting Falcon or even f16 Fighting Falcon.

The name "Fighting Falcon"

USAF F-16A block 10 #79-0290 at the Naming Ceremony at Hill AFB, Utah wearing a large 'Fighting Falcon' badge behind the cockpit.
    The U.S. Air Force officially named the F-16 "Fighting Falcon" on July 21st, 1980, during a ceremony at Hill AFB in Utah (the home of the first F-16 unit). At the ceremony F-16A #79-0290 sported a special logo painted by Salt Lake City artists Matt and Mark Waki.
    Four years earlier, in 1976, the Department of the Air Force had organized a "Name-the-Plane Contest" for the F-16 at MacDill AFB in Florida. The winning entry was submitted by TSgt. Joseph A. Kurdell, the Photo Sensor Shop Supervisor for the 1st TFW A&E sqn.

On May 11th, 1976, TSgt. Kurdell received an official letter from the Department of the Air Force, congratulating him for submitting the prize-winning entry in the "Name-the-Plane Contest", winning him a free dinner at the MacDill NCO Mess.

TSgt. Joseph Kurdell explains where he got the inspiration for the name:

"Prior to being stationed at MacDill AFB, Tampa, Florida and after a short tour in Korea, I was teaching at the Photographic Engineering School at Lowery Air Force Base in Colorado.

Being in the vicinity of the Air Force Academy, my family and I used to visit there quite often especially during their football seasons. As you probably know the Falcon (the bird species) is the school mascot, so this is where I got the idea from when given the opportunity to name an aircraft. "
    The name "Fighting Falcon" also helped distinguish the F-16 from the "Falcon" series of business jets from French manufacturer Dassault.

General Dynamics F-16 became Lockheed Martin F-16

In the early 90's the Lockheed Company acquired the Fort Worth Division of the General Dynamics Corporation, thus the right to produce and sell the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

Lockheed then merged with Martin Marietta in the middle 90's to make Lockheed Martin, or Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems (a.k.a. LMTAS). So that's why the General Dynamics F-16 became the Lockheed Martin F-16 or LMTAS F-16. Nowadays it's simply referred to as LM (Lockheed-Martin).

Viper: the unofficial nickname

The F-16 is often referred to as the "Viper", a nickname especially popular with people involved with the F-16. Before "Fighting Falcon" was selected as official name, pilots at Hill AFB, the first F-16 base, came up with a number of proposals, including "Viper". Lt. Col. Pat "Gums" McAdoo, USAF Ret., one of the first F-16 pilots at Hill AFB, recalls the origin of the name "F-16 Viper":

At end of runway, the F-16 did resemble a cobra or something as it approached you. However, I think Northrop had already taken that name for the YF-17.

We all voted, and Viper came in really high. Seems there was a series on TV that had 'colonial Vipers' flying off of Battlestar Galactica (a term later used for the Eagle).

In any case, the Generals didn't want a plane 'named after some snake'!

Falcon was a good name, and it fit in with the motif that the Eagle had created. Sort of a little brother, but still a 'Bird of Prey'. In fact, GD had a great promo out in late 70's called "Bird of Prey", and it used the Falcon as the real world model.

Even when F-16 Fighting Falcon became the official name, Viper stuck around and became the unofficial nickname for the F-16. The name "Viper" is even officially used for the Joe Bill Dreyden "Semper Viper" award, which is awarded for excellent airmanship by F-16 pilots.

Official International names

Although "Fighting Falcon" has been adopted as the official name for the F-16 by many international customers, some airforces have indigenous names for (specific variants of) the F-16:
    Netz: or 'Hawk' - used by the Israeli Air Force for its F-16A/B aircraft.
    Barak: or 'Lightning' - used by the Israeli Air Force for its F-16C/D (block 30 & 40) aircraft.
    Sufa: or 'Storm' - used by the Israeli Air Force for its F-16I aircraft.
    KF-16: Designation used by the RoKAF to denote the South Korean produced F-16s. Note that this designation does not follow the US Tri-Service designation system. The 'K' simply stands for Korea in this particular case.
    Jastrzab: or 'Hawk' - used by the Polish Air Force for its F-16C/D block 52 aircraft.
    Other nicknames

Of course the F-16 is also known by a variety of other, less commonly used, nicknames:
    Electric Jet: Obvious nickname for the first fly-by-wire aircraft.
    Lawn Dart: Caused by a higher number of mishaps experienced in the early years.
    Midnight Falcon: "Marketing" name used by General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin for the F-16C to highlight its day/night all-weather capabilities.
    Desert Falcon: "Marketing" name used by General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin for the F-16 Block 60.
    Sweet sixteen: No explanation needed.
    http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Pinay F-16 Fighting Falcon Pilot