New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Traffic safety | Inquirer Opinion

Practically everything we'd been suggesting, but written together in an article.

Like It Is
    Traffic safety
    By Peter Wallace
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

Let me give you some other ideas about traffic, and let me start with one that is uppermost: safety. How do we make driving in Metro Manila and elsewhere safer? First, without any question, is discipline. The discipline of Filipino drivers is appalling, in fact nonexistent. I seriously wonder how many drivers really went through the theoretical and practical test before getting their license. I would cancel all licenses upon renewal date and require comprehensive retesting, preferably conducted by a private company (sorry, but I don’t trust government employees on this one).

I realize this is quite a dramatic move, but “dramatic” is what this country needs in ever so many ways. I would also require that to obtain a license, you must first go through a driver-training course, then you get a “P” plate. This plate will be prominently displayed on your car to indicate that you are a new driver with a provisional license. If you commit a driving offense during the provisional period, you automatically lose that license and can’t get a new one until after a 6-month disqualification period. Thereafter, you will need to reapply for a permit and pass a driving test again.

As a start, and to test the system, I’d do this with all professional licenses carried by drivers of buses, taxis, trucks and jeepneys. And certainly tricycles. What a nuisance they are. Why do they insist on trundling along in the center lane of national roads in the provinces? This definitely slows down traffic. And this characteristic is apparent throughout the driving sector—an absence of care for the other person. Vehicles will stop anywhere that’s convenient regardless of the disruption they cause.

The next issue on safety is maintenance. As far as I can determine, there’s no Tagalog word for it. So how do you do something you can’t mention? But, seriously, I think the situation is driven more by money and a bahala na attitude. Why spend money on vehicle maintenance when it’s still working? Well, brakes that are working today won’t be tomorrow if the pads aren’t replaced; tires fully inflated today will blow out tomorrow if the tread is worn out; steering boxes will lock up if the oil leaks out and is not replaced. And so on. I’d almost guarantee you that the recent dreadful plunge of the bus up in Bontoc, Mountain Province, was due to mechanical failure, but will not be found to be so for reasons you can well imagine. Now maybe that’s unfair, maybe it was speeding by the driver. But I’d need some pretty solid proof. I’ve seen far too many accidents where the first is the reason.

A possible solution to mechanical failure is random checks of public vehicles. If a defective vehicle is found, the whole fleet is grounded until all vehicles of the company are checked.

As to speeding, speed governors (not alarms) that prevent the vehicle from going over a set limit are the obvious solution, and for bus companies to say (as they did last week) that it would lead to a fare increase is so laughable you almost can’t believe they said it. A governor costs P4,000-P5,000 and a little more to install it. Divide that by the number of passengers over two years (a reasonable amortization period), and it adds nothing to the fare.

The other thing I’d do is install a CCTV camera on the dashboard. There are now specifically designed cameras for vehicles that cost around P3,000. They record the trip, so if there’s an accident they show what happened (a bit like, in a simplistic way, the black box in a plane). That would have explained why the bus crashed in Bontoc. If it had a speed governor, speeding would not even be a consideration.

Private cars should be encouraged to install speed governors, too—good to help prove what really happened in an accident. Who hit who, it will be there.

And here’s a truly radical idea I really like. All bus companies should have displayed at each bus entrance the number of passengers that have died in the company’s buses in the past decade. A bit like the wording on cigarette packs: “Smoking kills.” Think about it. Why not, don’t we have a right to know? And think of the pressure it would put on companies to maintain their buses and properly train and control their drivers. Sadly, I reckon I’ve got zero chance of it being done.

Not related to safety, but having been stuck in traffic again this week it struck me again: One simple, almost costless solution to the traffic mess we face is to keep intersections clear (I always propose this in my traffic-related columns, and nothing has been done). I waited three green light changes before crossing an intersection last Friday. Just think of the traffic buildup behind me. It can be done; get tough on these selfish, thoughtless bastards. Suspend their license for a week with a heavy fine; that’ll teach them. If you can’t clear an intersection, don’t go in. Initially, until the habit becomes ingrained, we need trained traffic aides at every major intersection. And put prominent signs warning of the penalty for blocking an intersection.

What has to be recognized is that even the briefest stop disrupts traffic. A taxi letting off a passenger sends a wave of delay through the smooth flow of traffic. There must be no stopping of any kind on the main thoroughfares. To do so, you must pull into an emergency bay, or into a side street. A nuisance, yes, but just for you. The hundreds behind you benefit. Again, let’s have signs: THINK OF OTHERS, BE COURTEOUS, GIVE WAY, and so on. Let’s get traffic moving, safely.

Read more: Traffic safety | Inquirer Opinion
    Follow us: *inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Discipline and good driving habits. May ganyan lang yun driver, the streets will be safe. Kaso dito sa atin, wala eh. Makakita lang ng open road, hala, banat na agad.

Not only drivers should participate in traffic safety, even pedestrians and commuters should be part of it.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    More, this time from Deakin:
    James Deakin | A day in the life of an ambulance driver

Since the announcement of car-maggedon��which is the upcoming paralyzing effect of having 17 major road projects in Metro Manila being done simultaneously��our authorities have been very, very helpful by doling out endless nuggets of advice on how we, the private motorists, can make numerous sacrifices to minimize the congestion.

There have been suggestions like car-pooling, commuting, 4-day school weeks and just re-thinking each trip we take. And they’re great. Thanks. Really. Serious. Very helpful. So please allow us to return the favor.

Yes, we promise to do our bit. But you, our authorities, should also meet us halfway, right? Yes, I thought so. Which is why I have come up with a very short list for you that I think would greatly help ease congestion on our roads. And not just during the construction phase, either. But permanently.

Firstly, put an immediate ban on those Anti Smoke Belching Units (ASBU) that do nothing but create horrendous traffic jams by apprehending private motorists in AUVs, yet wave the real culprits like the jeeps, trucks, and buses past like they were coated in invisible paint.

We’ve all seen or experienced the hypocrisy first hand. They set up at the narrowest choke points in Metro Manila, like the elevated U turns on C5 and underneath the Magallanes flyover etc, creating epic traffic jams that rob us of billions of pesos worth of wasted fuel and man hours, which in turn creates Beijing-levels of unnecessary pollution just to enforce the very law they are violating.

I find the irony of making thousands of cars idle senselessly in an extra 30-45 minutes of traffic just so you can conduct a haphazard pollution test that you should have gotten right the first time when people paid to re-register their car, is as ridiculous as a library announcing their rule on silence over the loud speakers every three minutes. It defeats the entire purpose.

Besides which, by re-doing the test 'randomly' on public roads, all you�re basically saying is that you don�t trust yourselves. Way to go. Keep going and we’ll name a hole in the ozone layer after you.

Honestly, it is ridiculous. 17 projects or not.

Next, create a total ban on convoys. Funny, you can do it with trucks, which, as annoying as they may be, are actually being productive, but do nothing about the senseless use of vehicles in such a crowded city. Except for the president, perhaps, and the highest public officials with an official PSG security detail, any VIP (Very insecure person) that needs to travel with a bodyguard should not be allowed to do so with a back up vehicle. Make the security team carpool with their boss. They’re going the same way anyway.

And considering how many of these inconsiderate thugs there are out there that travel with an additional 3-4 SUVs in tow and a rent a cop on a big bike, we could effectively remove hundreds, if not thousands, of vehicles immediately. Try it.

If someone has the balls to enforce that, next up, why not try letting the traffic lights do their job. I know it is a radical suggestion, but hear me out. It not only adds to the congestion when traffic enforcers manually override them, it is downright dangerous. Imagine approaching an intersection at sixty and training your eyes on the green light above only to find an enforcer standing there in the middle of the road contradicting it and waving the cross traffic through. Exactly.

And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, make it compulsory for people involved in minor accidents where the vehicles are still drivable, to move their cars immediately after they have taken a picture of the scene. We need to enforce this immediately because the idea of banking up traffic all the way back to 1982 just so we can all wait for a traffic officer to draw a sketch (yes, an actual sketch, just like cavemen did before language was invented) is as ridiculous as walking into Western Union today and asking to send a telegram.

It is 2014. Start acting like it.

There. Those are just 3 simple and very doable suggestions that can go a long, long way to easing up congestion on Philippine roads. Let’s both do our bit. After all, it’s a two way street.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the problem is, we have too many low IQ drivers.

More Practicable Solutions on Traffic Safety