New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    eto naman tanung ko for the owners with automatic headlights:

paano gumagana yun, pati yung kung may DRL din....

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Nagaala "DRL" ako (turning manually my headlight on hindi lang park lights), ala DRL kasi walang DRL installed ang sasakyan ko starting at 5pm (may araw man or makulimlim na), pag nasa tunnel, pag nasa covered parking at pag umuulan.

Peeps you should turn on your headlights not just your parking lights inside covered parking lots kasi sa tahimik ng mga makina ngayon doon lang makikita ng pedestrian kung may paparating na sasakyan. Muntik na akong masagasaan nyan dati kasi itong ogag na driver hindi naka turn on ang headlights, mayron pa naman written rule na pag magpapark sa basement ng office namin dapat naka turn on ang headlights.
    Last edited by froshie1; February 19th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Problem with DRL's that are standard on some cars is the driver's instruments are always lighted regardless of headlamp function...
    I also think that a lot of people confuse their park lights or even the low-beam lights with daytime running lights.

With your park lights, a peanut bulb in front & your rear lamps are on.

With you low-beam lights, the peanut bulb, low-beam lamp & rear lamps are on.

With daytime running lights, it uses either a park light or a low-watt (around 20W) forward light (and not the low-beam) and there is no rear light on.

Here's the problem with using your park / low-beam lights as a pseudo-DRL:

1. Your rear lamps stay on... if you don't have a 3rd brake lamp or have a relatively weak taillamp or have an el-cheapo LED taillamp (like the one used in the Corolla) - other drivers will have a hard time distinguishing if you're braking or not.

2. As mentioned by mbiege, the instrument cluster also gets light. This is no problem if you have an light output adjuster (like in the Rav) or have an optitron gauge - but the vehicles equipped with these are in minority.

3. You produce unnecessary glare and distraction if you insist on using your low-beam headlamps... that is why other drivers are signaling / flashing you. That's why DRLs have half the output of regular low-beam lamps.

Hopefully this clarifies the confusion with using DRLs since most vehicles being sold here in the Philippines are not equipped with the said feature.

If you still insist on using your park/low-beam lights as a pseudo-DRL device...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post

If I remember it right from the car of my cousin sa US, meron sensor in between doon sa dashboard and windshield...so pag pumasok ng parking at dumilim automatic mag on yun headlight...

sa DRL naman pag start mo, naka-on na talaga and walang switch to turn it off

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    dumilim automatic mag on yun headlight...
    my old classmate told me that volvo (i dont know kung anong model ng auto nila) pag dumilim automatic headlight on (AHO) yung headlight ng auto..

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    may nakasalubong na din akong cadillac escalade dati equipped w/ DRL dito lang sa antips

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    is this true? dito ba yan sa manila? I think this is the first time that I heard of such provision on car insurance....

tama yun isang poster how would the insurance company know if your following it?
    Sa states. No idea how they monitor it either, i guess pag ma-aksidente ka na lang and the lights on your car are off they know for sure.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post

some have their sensors on the rearview mirror mount assembly

the automatic mode can be turned-off, i.e., manual control as usual ... some defaults to automatic mode when car starts

same can be said of those having automatic wipers ... with rain sensor at the windshield

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    I also think that a lot of people confuse their park lights or even the low-beam lights with daytime running lights.

With your park lights, a peanut bulb in front & your rear lamps are on.

With you low-beam lights, the peanut bulb, low-beam lamp & rear lamps are on.

With daytime running lights, it uses either a park light or a low-watt (around 20W) forward light (and not the low-beam) and there is no rear light on.

Here's the problem with using your park / low-beam lights as a pseudo-DRL:

1. Your rear lamps stay on... if you don't have a 3rd brake lamp or have a relatively weak taillamp or have an el-cheapo LED taillamp (like the one used in the Corolla) - other drivers will have a hard time distinguishing if you're braking or not.

2. As mentioned by mbiege, the instrument cluster also gets light. This is no problem if you have an light output adjuster (like in the Rav) or have an optitron gauge - but the vehicles equipped with these are in minority.

3. You produce unnecessary glare and distraction if you insist on using your low-beam headlamps... that is why other drivers are signaling / flashing you. That's why DRLs have half the output of regular low-beam lamps.

Hopefully this clarifies the confusion with using DRLs since most vehicles being sold here in the Philippines are not equipped with the said feature.

If you still insist on using your park/low-beam lights as a pseudo-DRL device...
    thanks for the info sir. mukhang guilty pa rin ako hehe. manual DRL ginagawa ko hehe

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Sa states. No idea how they monitor it either, i guess pag ma-aksidente ka na lang and the lights on your car are off they know for sure.
    I'm sure you heard it wrong dahil if the car your driving have DRL, whether you like it or not pag start mo naka on na ang DRL....

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
daytime running lights (DRL)