New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I wouldn't touch the gap, especially since you have never done it before.

Running one heat range hotter can help... but you will have to ask the dealer and check your manual to see if the engine will accept it.

Better yet, just find the time to exercise the engine every now and then. Run it through the rev range (under load... while accelerating... just revving it in the garage won't help that much) so that the fuel deposits in the cylinders burn off. The problem with running the car ONLY in the city is that you often will not get a proper burn off while idling in Manila-level traffic.
    Salamat ulit, Sir Niky. I will ask the dealer to check if I could get hotter spark plugs. I did have a chance to exercise the engine driving to Tagaytay during the New Year holidays (sarap talaga ng Skyway kung walang laman). I believe the engine was able to burn off some of the fuel deposits. But I guess and as my quick smell-test shows, any existing petrol will remain in the oil.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    For the fuel smell of the lube oil, have you considered checking the PCV system?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    For the fuel smell of the lube oil, have you considered checking the PCV system?
    Thanks again, Sir Jick. I went for PMS at Suzuki East Ave today and mentioned the smell. I also gave them a list of the suggested checks I got from this thread.

I could not see everything they did from the lounge. They said they did computer diagnostics and found everything to be normal. They also compared the smell to other Swifts, and said the smell is common--apparently, the combustion is never perfect.

I asked them if they did the other checks, specifically checking the spark plugs, but the Service Agent just gave an unconvincing 'Uhm, oo.'

I'll go back to observation mode this time. I'm pretty sure my oil was somewhat diluted and smelled like fuel before the PMS. But maybe this is really normal for the Swift in Metro Manila driving conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12