New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    I would like to try out "Trailing". It seems to be an exciting adventure. Nothing hard-core like crossing deep rivers, or going over huge rock and the like. Just simple backroad adventure.

Since the Jimny is the cheapest brand new 4X4, I am interested in getting one. I also like the Jimny because I also like a small vehicle to zip around the city and tight parking.

Some questions:
    1. Is the Jimny capable of giving fun 4X4 adventure? Again nothing hard core.
    2. For convenience, I plan to get an A/T. Is an A/T a no-no for off roading?

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    Is the Jimny capable of giving fun 4X4 adventure? YES DEFINITELY! Jimny is a very capable 4x4 that can even outperform a Vitara with its Solid Axles configuration.

For convenience, I plan to get an A/T. Is an A/T a no-no for off roading? NOT REALLY. I am using an A/T Vitara in trailing and havent had any problem ever since. though geared a little high compared to M/T but gives ample power to tackle most obstacles. It gives me more ease and convenient with just a light tap to the accelerator during uphill climb and complimented with braking during downhill. Just my 2 cents. Happy Trailing!
    Last edited by astec; July 10th, 2004 at 11:08 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since it is a small vehicle, IMO, mas maganda siguro kung MT para mas feel mo yung pagka manuevarability nya at pagka 4x4.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I bought a suzuki jimny m/t back in 02 and to me it has been one of the wisest decision ever. i had the option for a 4 door sedan andmany questioned my jimny purchase to think it was questionable in our market at that time, cept for those who know its roots in the offroad community, much like the sammies and vitaras.

cute was how it would be described, a term not associated with toughness, 4x4 and offroad capability.... =)

its boxy and hence at high speeds of 120kph up, it has a tendency to sway especially with strong winds --- try the skyway.

but then thats not what it was designed for.

parking is very easy. turning radius is superb. ground clearance makes you confident in floods. consumption is good w/ a 1.3 L engine and torque is plenty also especially in 1st gear.

its an aluminimum DOHC engine helps with the power to weight ration.

First thing i got rid off was the lousy stock tyres which were slippery. Slapped on pirelli scorpions then later, michelin LTX all terrains...

Next was a suspension upgrade toold man emus which improved the ride a lot. (incidentally i have 3 month old stock springs and shox fo the jimny in case anyone needs em)

then an RV-Inno roofrack, Koito foglamps and along with 2 othr vitaras we dared halsema highay en route for Sagada from baguio...in the hight of bagyong Nina.

we encountered several pajeros, CRVs and an F-150 that stalled or couldn't make the path, but the 3 zuks braved on easily, one stock vitara and my jimny and the other vitara on old man emus (his callsign is BOSERO in 4x4ph.com)

i earned so much respect fo the jimny since then tha i start laughing at other SUVs who think their RAV/CRV/escape/x-trail will kick my jimny's ass orany suzuki 4x4 ass, in offroading. hambog ba? =)

matagtag yes, but not as bad as other pickups. Its a best buy for me. Got itfrom Philhino and i have it serviced there although some parts are cheaper in GM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    i knewi could never make thejimny a dedicated extreme offroader since i use it for work and for my kids too.

still, i went halfway and had a 2 inch lift using industrial grade plastics, slapped on chrome alloy american racing mags and 235/17/R15 BFG a/ts....then had an offroad bumper made faux JDM/ARB/etc.

lookslike a mad max creature but i like it (GFs might not)
    installed a pair of hellas on the bumper andanother on the roofrack. Awaiting my checkerplate bashplate and i have apretty ecent trailing vehicle minus the mud tyres. (geolandar muds cna na 30/9.5/15 but might have to re-gear)

at least now i will be taken more seriously on the road other than being 'cute' hehe

placed grounding kit and well....my jimny looks very different from the stock one na =)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    pare im planning to buy a jimny a/t thanks sa review mo... guaranteed bang matibay sya?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    short answer? Hell yes bro

8. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    This thread is 6 years old... but YES, I too think the Jimny is an excellent choice.

Actually I am buying a car soon, in a few weeks... My choices were down between the Suzuki Jimny and the Ford Fiesta. Definitely the major factors why I considered the Jimny are the high ground clearance (which is excellent for our road conditions) and it's durability to take any punishment.

But in the end, the Ford Fiesta's looks, features, safety accolades, good reviews, and Ford's maintenace or parts availability promotions that swayed me to reserve for my Fiesta.

I think if I am to buy another car in 5 years, I will definitely get a Suzuki Jimny. Maybe by then they would have a newer model.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    pare pareho pala tayo ng choice fiesta or jimny... swak kasi sa budget ko... pero kung tingnan natin sa all year round na "baha" dahil sa high tide at poor drainage..... i think we must consider a car that will suit climate change... i go for jimny

10. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorcar View Post
    pare pareho pala tayo ng choice fiesta or jimny... swak kasi sa budget ko... pero kung tingnan natin sa all year round na "baha" dahil sa high tide at poor drainage..... i think we must consider a car that will suit climate change... i go for jimny
    OO nga eh... 2 weeks ago ulan ng ulan... bigla tuloy akong nag dalawang isip sa Ford Fiesta eh. lalo na nun may mga 5 inches deep na baha sa kalsada...

Nag pa reserve na ako ng Ford Fiesta, pero gusto ko ma-test drive muna bago ako pumirma at mag commit talaga for the full worth ng car. Sabi nila sa end ng September may test drive units na sila.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Jimny