New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    think it would be better for you the look for another vitara. surplus shops rarely carry parts for vitara's and there very few shops that can properly overhaul an automatic tranny.

converting it to manual would be costly and trouble some. sakit ulo lang yan.

question Jo A. how did you know that the tranny has problems?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    think it would be better for you the look for another vitara. surplus shops rarely carry parts for vitara's and there very few shops that can properly overhaul an automatic tranny.

converting it to manual would be costly and trouble some. sakit ulo lang yan.

question Jo A. how did you know that the tranny has problems?

Well the transmission is still working but of coarse due to it's age im just planning for the worst case. It will probably last for atleast 2 years if I were to buy the car. How much do you estimate it will cost for an overhaul or a conversion to manual?

Also I noticed that the steering has some free play and when I steer to the left it's like the turning radius isn't at full compared to turning right. A shell mechanic said this could be adjusted at the steering box. Would the experts here know if this is true?

Basically the only issues of the vitara is the oil leak near the oil pan and transmission(mechanic said it was an oil seal and that the transmission needed to go down to fix it), the steering play, and the age of the transmission. I would've prefered a manual but there are none available for the 200k and less
    price range that I can afford. Im buying from metro manila only so provincial units are out of my search.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    no idea on the prices of the parts and labor for conversion.

but i don't think it would just last 2 years, well it also depends on how the previous owner used/abused and maintained the as for

uneven turning radius is due to the limiter. maybe some mechanic before adjusted it. its a simple fix that a good mechanic knows. no parts to be changed. my unit also had that problem left lock was 3.5 turns while right lock was only 3. my friend adjusted the limiter on the left it's now almost even

as for the free play i have not experienced it yet on my unit. but on my 83 w126 before it was reduced by adjusting at the steering box.

oil seals are cheap but the parts that need to be removed before you get to the oil seal are many so labor costs are high
    Last edited by impulzz; June 3rd, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    no idea on the prices of the parts and labor for conversion.

but i don't think it would just last 2 years, well it also depends on how the previous owner used/abused and maintained the as for

uneven turning radius is due to the limiter. maybe some mechanic before adjusted it. its a simple fix that a good mechanic knows. no parts to be changed. my unit also had that problem left lock was 3.5 turns while right lock was only 3. my friend adjusted the limiter on the left it's now almost even

as for the free play i have not experienced it yet on my unit. but on my 83 w126 before it was reduced by adjusting at the steering box.

oil seals are cheap but the parts that need to be removed before you get to the oil seal are many so labor costs are high
    Thanks for the info. Good to know the steering issues are a simple fix.

Another thing I noticed on the test drive is that there is a noise during acceleration under load. It sounds like a constant "tick tick tick" during acceleration. Kind of like an old volkswagen beetle during acceleration. There is no sound when you idle or when you rev the engine while on neutral. It's only when under load that the sound comes out. What do you guys think it is?

I'll have to do a complete service and change all the fluids of the car when I buy it. The previous owner is a woman so I assume she doesn't know about changing the axle/differential and transfer case fluids. She mentioned all she did was the basic oil change and spark plug replacement. So its change all fluids and drain the radiator and refill with distilled water. I'm gonna have to change the oil to a quality fully synthetic as well if she has been using cheap oils. Have to change the timing belt and water pump as well to be sure.

I really hope the transmission lasts a few years more so I have time to atleast do some mods to the vitara like audio setup, snorkel, and 2 or 3 inch suspension lift before having to worry about the transmission.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    the tick tick sound on heavy acceleration is "tope" my unit does it too. it's due to the e10 fuel we have. also use 95 octane. anything less will result to low milage and low engine power.

when i got my unit, it had a cracked radiator top. lucky i was able to get one from denso in banawe. a few weeks later water pump leaked. so my friend recommended to also change the oil seals, timing belt and tensioner bearing as these were already out when they changed the water pump.

also all the shocks were shot, front struts cost 6k each, so i just had it refilled 4 years and they are still good. the rears are 800 each KYB so went brand new.
    Last edited by impulzz; June 4th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hopefully it is just the fuel and not the transmission or engine.

Does anybody know of any shops that specialize in vitaras in the makati, ortigas, or libis areas? I usually take my cars to autotecnika or bridgestone at the fort I was wondering if they are good enough or if it's better to take the vitara to a specialized shop.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Do any of you know where the engine number is stamped on the block?
    I need to verify the data on the cr is correct.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    don't know any shop in those areas, but your suki shop can handle a vitara.

as for the engine number it's on the left side where the block meets the tranny near the down pipe of the exhaust.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    chassis number is by the front wheels. its on both the sides left and right front wheels.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    don't know any shop in those areas, but your suki shop can handle a vitara.

as for the engine number it's on the left side where the block meets the tranny near the down pipe of the exhaust.
    Thanks. I will look for it tomorrow when I finally buy the Vitara.

GEN I Suzuki Vitara 88-up [merged]