New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    From http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/jimny/index.html :

"...the engine is constructed almost wholly of aluminium, which helps make it extremely lightweight and fuel efficient. All this power and precision is transferred to the smooth-shifting 4-speed automatic or 5-speed manual transmission by way of a specially designed chain that not only significantly lowers friction and noise, but also reduces power loss."

Questions:
    1) What are the advantages of a chain drive for transmitting power compared to gears?
    2) What are the maintenance requirements for these chains? How often do these chains have to be replaced?
    3) Are there any cars / SUVs that use a similar chain drive? Does the Vitara have these chains?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Chains sa transmission?

D ko alam ito ha.

My Jimny does only on the average 8km per liter

My Bicycle has chains though.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    i would have thought the chain drive system is located in the transfer case for the 4wd system.. if indeed it is in the transmission.. then this would be the first ive heard of it...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Jimnys utilize a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Also, the transfer case utilize a chain drive to transfer drive energy to the front and rear wheels.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Transfer cases on most truck-based rigs (e.g. Pajero and Patrol) are chain driven, also.

The Jimny's tcase is also chain drive. Don't know about the part about the tranny, though.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    t-case yan and timing chain. that's for a more quiet operation/ less maintenance (for the timing-belts wear out faster)

Chain Drive on Suzuki Jimny