New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    The aim of a good commercial business model is to churn em to not conk out within warranty. Premature would be very bad.
    I do see CVTs evolving to find their intended service life sweet spot. But relative to MTs & conventional ATs, by design, they're just subjected to way more stress/wear & they'll likely remain irreparable.
    I'm fine staying behind w/ the minority, the remaining third...til there's none. Let's see what the E/Hybrid generation brings. I'm praying to be surprised....in a good way.ATF fluid used in CVT Transmission

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Businesses thrive when people buy like their products and buy them repeatedly. Always a balance of FMOT and SMOT. If CVTs (or any major component) don't last the buyer's intended lifespan for the car (obviously more than just warranty period), then chances are people won't make repeat purchases. That's what I mean when I say premature failure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    CVTs are already at the late majority phase of the innovation adoption cycle. In the grand scheme of things, few buyers fear CVTs and have accepted them as the de facto AT option.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Yan din sabi ng mga matatanda noon sa CRDi. Or any new technology for thay matter

There are always birth pains (Trooper CRDi, Jazz GD CVT, Ford DCT) but after several iterations manufacturers tend to improve.

Planned obsolesence is not new. Capitalist greed also isn't new. If it was such a good business model to design cars that conk out prematurely, manufacturers would have done so decades ago.

Over 2/3 of all brand-new, gas-fed AT cars sold in the country today are CVTs. Masisira kaya karamihan prematurely?

That’s because Toyota and Honda uses CVT. Kung halimbawa Ford ang CVT while Toyota and Honda ang naka AT, tiyak mas madaming AT dito. 😂

Hindi transmission tintignan dito sa atin... more of T or H badge ang hinahanap.
    Sigurado madaming bumibili na hindi alam CVT pala transmission nila. 😂😂😂

Wala pa din naman akong nakikita na premature CVT failure masyado except those early Honda CVTs. But we know that once they fail, the car is basically junk.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if i were to buy a car that is available in both AT and CVT, i'd probably opt for the AT.
    what'd be my choice, after, say, 15 years?
    bahala na. depende sa findings sa CVT by then.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    CVTs are already at the late majority phase of the innovation adoption cycle. In the grand scheme of things, few buyers fear CVTs and have accepted them as the de facto AT option.

Acceptance is a natural course when choices outside are removed, running thin or priced way too high. It's more like surrender. I'll hold out, stand pat. The CVT depositions still aren't swaying.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Nakakatakot naman yung CVT. ATF fluid used in CVT Transmission CVT pa man din first car namin. ATF fluid used in CVT Transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsk View Post
    Nakakatakot naman yung CVT. ATF fluid used in CVT Transmission CVT pa man din first car namin. ATF fluid used in CVT Transmission

Wag ka matakot.
    Each has its own preference here. Madami na naka cvt, at, mt dito and each transmission has its disadvantages and advantage.

Ang important is imaintain ng maayos at sundin at magbasa ng manual. If still unsure after consulting the manual, pwede naman magtanong.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015

The purpose of this thread isn't fearmongering, but to raise awareness on options & the importance of proper maintenance. Just learn the proper upkeep & enjoy your purchase, sir.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008

in this particular case, some folks think it wasn't the incorrect type of fluid, but the use of the vehicle despite low fluid levels, that did the cvt in.

when in doubt, we source our items from the casa.
    they may be more expensive, but they do know the proper specifications.
    kung minsan, wala nang ibang puedeng kunan kundi kasa...
    Last edited by dr. d; December 5th, 2019 at 08:41 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    CVTs are cheap to manufacture.10+yrs of existence and the reliability aint perfected then people wouldnt buy them, worse on secondhand market. As the reliability improves and cost of parts to maintain becomes more cheap and available then that would sway buyers for acceptance.

Look at this AT, clearly this is a planned obsolescence of a dip-stick.