1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    "conventional tyre gauge."
    tsip.
    Ah... TPMS daw kasi.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    TL;DR, If you plan to install external/screw-on TPMS, upgrade to a metal/solid valve stem. THEN, have your tires balanced with the new valve stems AND the TPMS installed.

I have had my TPMS since 2018 or 2019 and I've been religiously replenishing the air in my tires every 3 or 4 weeks. All tires seems to lose air at an average of about 1 PSI per week. I thought this was normal as rubber tires are porous and air tends to escape one way or the other. At the same time, I've had issues with the rubber valve stems developing a tear and eventually leaking around where the arrow is in the pic below. This is mainly due to the added weight of the sensor and the resulting centrifugal forces when the tires are spinning at highway speeds.

I tried fixing this issue by putting rubber "bump stops" to prevent the valve stem from flexing (pic below). It worked to a certain extent but the rubber valve stems would still start leaking after several months to a year or so.

Fast-forward to last month (December 2023), I decided I'd try out metal valve stems and boy, was that a night and day difference! There's plenty of them online and I bought two sets of fours. I used up five (including the spare tire) and now I still have three as spares. I had the metal valve stems installed, aired the tires, installed the TPMS sensors, and all the tires balanced.

We had a Christmas vacation coming up so a few days before our trip, I aired up all tires to precisely 34 PSI (cold). On Christmas Eve, we drove to Baguio. I can't emphasize enough that everything was buttery smooth. I was doing 90-100 kph on average, with very few bursts of 110-115 kph when overtaking. Zero shaking at any speed. There's really a lot to be desired with properly-balanced tires!

But that's just half of the good news... We drove home 3 days later (same highways, same ave. speed) and now, a little over a week after that trip, I've probably driven 550+ km since the last time I aired the tires.... and the TPMS is still reading 34 PSI (cold), same as before. Normally, I would've expected it to have lost 1-2 PSI.

So there... External TPMS on metal valve stems + wheel balancing (with EVERYTHING installed) = Perfectly balanced tires that don't leak.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    TL;DR, If you plan to install external/screw-on TPMS, upgrade to a metal/solid valve stem. THEN, have your tires balanced with the new valve stems AND the TPMS installed.
    Good advice, will do this. I'm getting some 3-piece wheels refurb'd soon and I'll probably install TPMS after they're done.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Wireless  TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System