New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Hi! I drive an AT. Eversince, once I have reached the speed I want, I gradually step on the brakes (using my right foot). Tama ba to? Or dapat wala akong ipress pagnagkucruise?? Thanks.

Is this "riding the brakes". Thanks...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Riding the brakes means a lot of things.
    *Depending solely on the wheel brakes when going downhill for extended periods (not employing engine/compression braking)
    *Resting your left foot on the brake pedal while driving.

In any case, you should avoid both. The left foot is for the clutch pedal only when driving on public roads.

You can regulate speed by the throttle or brakes. Nothing wrong with it. Just use your right foot to do it.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Do you mean when using cruise control, i just keep my foot on the floor pero laging ready just in case i need to brake.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    No, not cruise control. I mean, kunwari sa EDSA, nareach mo na iyong gustong speed mo. Where should you put your foot? Should you place it on top of the brakes? Or dapat wala kang pinupush?

(and just to clear things up, I'm driving an AT and I'm only using my right foot in driving)

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thebestusername View Post
    No, not cruise control. I mean, kunwari sa EDSA, nareach mo na iyong gustong speed mo. Where should you put your foot? Should you place it on top of the brakes? Or dapat wala kang pinupush?

(and just to clear things up, I'm driving an AT and I'm only using my right foot in driving)
    You should put your right foot where you need it. If you want to slow down or stop, step on the brakes, if you want to maintain speed, press the accelerator up to how fast you want to go and try to stay on it.. Ease down a little if you're going faster than what you intend, because the moment you release the gas pedal, the car would decelerate even before you step on the brakes.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009

You will want to put your foot where it can pivot as fast and as comfortably as possible between the accelerator and brake pedal. When you're cruising along a street without stopping, your foot should still rest on top on the accelerator. Should you need to speed up, then press it gently, should you need to slow down...let go of it...or depress the brake pedal.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    ..and that Sir, is the best way to drive one!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    i keep my foot pressed lightly on the gas pedal so it wouldnt loose speed, pero di masyado para di mag accelerate.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    I keep my right foot over the brakes. I usually go to the top range of my cruising speed then take the pedal off and put it over the brake pedal. once my speed drifts to the lower range of my cruise speed i press the gas pedal again to go to the top range. having my foot over the brake pedal without any pressure will save me precious reaction time in emergencies. same thing when coasting over intersections, you put your foot over the brakes when you're not accelerating. They call it "lazy foot" technique, it's used mostly by those big emergency vehicles in the US since they're big and bulky but they need to go really fast, it saves them a lot in reaction time.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I just keep my right foot on the gas pedal. And if I want to stay in my desired cruising speed. I just ease up on the gas pedal.

I think stepping on the brakes once you reach your desired speed and pressing on the gas pedal again to reach that speed consumes more gas.

This will also shorten the lifespan of the brake pad/discs as well.

Where should you place your foot when cruising?