New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    what type of grease recommended for use in repacking wheel bearing?
    and how much grease should we apply? full or do i have to leave space between the bearing and the cap/cover/hub?
    thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    use high-temp and water resistant grease.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    what type of grease recommended for use in repacking wheel bearing?
    and how much grease should we apply? full or do i have to leave space between the bearing and the cap/cover/hub?
    thanks

cody,
    for bearings not subjected to water, i.e. the wheel bearing cap is present and intact and the seal watertight, the most recommended grease is grade NLGI 2(national lubricating grease institute) molybdenum based. but for water exposed bearings, use lithium based nlgi 2. there are some silicone grease available which are water resistant too. every time you have to repack the bearings, check for seal race integrity and replace the seal everytime you repack the bearings or remove the brake drum(hubbed brake drums). apply only enough grease to the rollers or balls in their bearing cage to provide cooling airspace and to prevent the grease from contaminating the brake linings due to grease overheat and expansion past the seals.
    jick

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    thanks for the information.
    the cap does not have any seals, i just use a high temp gasket maker spread around the edge before replacing the cap. will that be ok? or is there another seal found at the other end? near the cover of the brake drum?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    thanks for the information.
    the cap does not have any seals, i just use a high temp gasket maker spread around the edge before replacing the cap. will that be ok? or is there another seal found at the other end? near the cover of the brake drum?

cody,
    to properly repack the bearings specially you have no idea how contaminated or degraded the old grease is, you will have to remove the hub from the spindle, remove the bearings from its outer race, wash in mineral spirits or solvent or paint thinner and carefully inspect for brinelling, galling, pitting, burnt discoloration, or abrasion. if the bearings show any other than how it looks like when new, replace the whole set: bearing rollers and inner race, the outer race or in simple language whatever comes out of the replacement bearing box will have to be replaced and so is the grease retainer(seal), make sure to prelubricate the spindle seal race and the seal lip with vaseline or wheel bearing race. to repack, you can use a special tool called the base of your palm and starting from large end of the rollers push the grease towards the smaller end until the grease oozes out out of the smaller end of the bearing cage.. the bearing cavity in the hub should be cleaned out of the old grease as the lod and the new grease might not be compatible.
    jick