New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    guys what fluid is best in power steering? minsan kase naubusan ako ng power steering fluid, then sa gas station ako nakapag tanong kung meron silang fluid,ang available lang sa kanila is ung ATF [Automatic Transmission Fluid] sabi nung mechanic,pwede ko na daw ung gamitin. Guys ok lang ba yung ATF para sa Power steering? tia

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    It depends sa car...what's the make and model? Toyota cars usually have ATF Type T-IV in their power steering system. For Hondas, the power steering fluid is different from their ATF fluid. Honda power steering systems are very picky about the fluid they use (using a different kind will damage the rubber parts/hoses and probably the pump itself). Consult your car manual regarding the correct type of fluid to use.

If you don't have the car manual around, kindly state what you vehicle is so that the members here can state what the exact type of fluid is needed.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Sir CivicVti 92-95 honda hatchback po auto.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    tanong lang po, kasi sabi mo naubusan ka ng psf masmaganda pagawa mo muna ito, then merong nabibili na 1 liter na original na honda psf 500pesos 1 liter. kasi sabi kasi sa manual use genuine honda power steering fluid, wala siyang sinabing specs para makabili ng ibang brand like sa revo mecron. meron naman nabibili sa casa, at oil din less than 800pesos 1 gallon mineral vtec lec ito ang gamit ko.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maypindot02 View Post
    Sir CivicVti 92-95 honda hatchback po auto.
    As mentioned by raine, you should fix the leak of the power steering system first. Have a competent mechanic check the hoses and the pump to pinpoint the source of the leak. Then refill with Honda power steering fluid which can be purchased at any Honda dealer (spare parts division).

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    balik lang po ako sa topic... what's the best? the best is the one that is recommended for your car. it is specified in your manual. but incase you dont have your manual booklet, you can ask your fellow hatch owners(assuming the same model as yours).

anyways, lam ko atf can also be used as psf(power steering fluid). im just not sure if it is applicable for all types of vehicle. just to be safe, recommended ps fluid na lang.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    It depends from what point of view you are into.

Power steering system has rubber o-rings, rubber oil seal and teflon parts, same with the Automatic transmission. But automatic transmission has also friction clutches and operate a much higher temperature than Power steering. Therefore ATF (automatic transmission fluid) are more than enough to replace Power steering fluid and they cost less.

There is no harm in following what your manual says (only you wallet) , but remember these manual were written by the car manufacturer, so they have to put products of their own as their choice in its fluid requirement, but they also put beside the preferred fluid "or its equivalent". My tip is here the label and look at the specification of the fluid, if it is the same or above, then go for it. I will never and should never void the warranty. Car manufacturers are not hydraulic fluid manufacturers.

For me i use ATF and also do recommend using it in their Power steering. Power Steering Fluids specifically made are there to have a share of that market and profit for it. Because there are less brands competing in this area.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    On Hondas, the PSF is noticeably thicker than ATF. Apparently so it will have less tendency to seep through the steering rack seals. I've heard of stories by some people switching to ATF and months later, found their rides leaking fluid.

If it says "Use only power steering fluid" or something to that effect on the manual or stamped on the PSF reservoir, then do so religiously. I understand that some cars can work equally well when using ATF as a substitute, but only do so if the manual says it's ok. If you don't, it could be a 50-50 hit or miss if it will work for you or not. So do the best thing and only use the right fluid for the right job.

Coffeemate in my coffee.... :D

ATF works well as an emergency substitute for PSF. Besides, having some fluid is still better than no fluid, diba? But then, you should have the system drained as soon as possible and refill with the correct PSF. As a side note, you should also investigate if your car is "drinking" PSF. PSF does not evaporate or gets used up. If you find yourself topping up the reservoir frequently, you should look for a leak somewhere.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    On Hondas, the PSF is noticeably thicker than ATF. Apparently so it will have less tendency to seep through the steering rack seals. I've heard of stories by some people switching to ATF and months later, found their rides leaking fluid.

If it says "Use only power steering fluid" or something to that effect on the manual or stamped on the PSF reservoir, then do so religiously. I understand that some cars can work equally well when using ATF as a substitute, but only do so if the manual says it's ok. If you don't, it could be a 50-50 hit or miss if it will work for you or not. So do the best thing and only use the right fluid for the right job.

Coffeemate in my coffee.... :D

ATF works well as an emergency substitute for PSF. Besides, having some fluid is still better than no fluid, diba? But then, you should have the system drained as soon as possible and refill with the correct PSF. As a side note, you should also investigate if your car is "drinking" PSF. PSF does not evaporate or gets used up. If you find yourself topping up the reservoir frequently, you should look for a leak somewhere.

i was gonna say the same thing, but i waited for somebody to do so. this is based on experience. hondas and acuras require honda compatible power steering fluid only. simple as that. regular dexron II will do the job temporarily, for how long is the question. it will degrade the seals and hoses for these cars. similar to some people okay with advil but to some are not without adverse reaction.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i came upon a brand of powersteering fluid. "Power Gold" brand. US brand ang nakasulat and can be found in your suking auto supply. I read the fine print at the back, "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HONDA USE" .

So i assume na iba nga ang power steering system ng honda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
what fluid is best in power steering?