New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Just want to ask you SUV gurus out there about the ride characteristics of Rancho 9000 or 5000 on an LC80, as compared to the other shocks like OME, bilstein and the likes? The use will be more for the urban jungle & rarely nature trips.
    And where can I get those Rancho shocks?

Should I change the springs as well? If yes, What do you suggest?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It would depend entirely on your budget. An LC80 rides nice enough as it is.

My vote goes to Bilsteins.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I suggest that if in the future you want to change springs to gain lift and better ride you buy shocks that are suitable for the intended lift in the future. OME shocks are designed for up to 2" lift from stock height. If you can't find Rancho's there PM me i can hook you up with the distributor of Rancho.

For springs you could either go with OME, Dobinson, Downey, TJM among others. PM me if youre interested in OME products.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It will all depend on how you want your ride to perform on different occassions. Some owner's preference want it stiffer for more control over some terrains, while others want a comfortable ride and compare it to a sedan suspension.

Ranchos are good enough for adventure trails and works best on rough road use. The R5 will cost you a little lesser than the R9X which has ajustment knobs for stiffer settings. But once you have already set and get the comfort that you want, you'll be damn tired to switch the knobs back and forth. But as like OTEP said, nothing beats the ride quality with its hefty tag. :D

If you'd want to modify your existing springs, I suggest that you make it clear with the merchandizer/retailer how heavy the hauling duty it will burden. So as to minimize the guessing part which type of coils to fit. Light duty or raised coils will have the same spring rates sometimes even less than your OE rates, an additional 25-40mm added height. Medium-Heavy a little stiffer but can pack 400kgs within its burden 25mm higher than light duty coils. Heavy Duty springs are the stiffest, but certainly provides more control and hauling ability, additional lift of 70-80mm from original springs.

I have set my springs on Heavy Duty and it performs well on deep moguls we have encountered, nice suspension flexes but a little rattling on rough roads.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I'll try to consider the pros & cons that you mentioned before I decide to chagne my suspension setup.

Any idea how much those rancho or OME shocks/coils cost?

MERRY CHRISTMASS TO ALL!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    I just came from RATS because Im changing my Gen 2.5 shocks this January.

Shocks 5200 each
    Coil 9600 for two ( I wont get this muna )
    Super Pro Bushing 11600 ( Im not getting all so 5500 lang )

No labor charge pa so prepare more

Im also thinking about the Bilstein

Want your Shock Advice