New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My 2004 Mazda 3 has developed a rattle that can be heard when the rear left tire passes through a road imperfection. It sounds like there's something in the trunk that's bouncing around.

Of course, first thing I did was empty my trunk - rattle was still there. Then, I removed the jack, spare tire, and all tools, rattle was still there. I checked all clips, rattle was still there.

Next step was to have the suspension checked. I changed my shocks, but the rattle was still there. I even changed my stab links, but rattle remained (waste of money oh well). I also tried a new shock mount, new shock boot, and new lateral links, but the problem still persisted.

I already had 2 shops look at the suspension and both said that it was fine. So now, I'm quite stuck as I dunno what to check next.

One shop suggested that there might be some screws stuck in between the metal panels of the car that shakes around when passing through road ruts. Oddly enough, we can't reproduce the problem by bouncing the rear when it's stopped. You only hear it when the car is moving and the left rear tire passes encounters potholes.

If anyone has any idea on what the problem could be, or could suggest a shop that specializes on issues like this, I'd gladly appreciate the help. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    My cousin had a similar problem but for a 2008 city. Car stayed weeks sa casa and also sa honda spa. Never found the problem.

Then dinala nya sa cruven. May naipit pala maliit na bato somwhere sa suspension arms. Tinanggal lang yung bato. Okay na.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Have you checked the exhaust? Could be a worn out exhaust mount.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    My cousin had a similar problem but for a 2008 city. Car stayed weeks sa casa and also sa honda spa. Never found the problem.

Then dinala nya sa cruven. May naipit pala maliit na bato somwhere sa suspension arms. Tinanggal lang yung bato. Okay na.
    Thanks for the tip. How's the pricing of Cruven? Might bring it there for diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Have you checked the exhaust? Could be a worn out exhaust mount.
    Had it checked already, the rubber mounts are still in good condition.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Other things to look at is the trunk mechanism (hinge/latch), tailights, bumper mounts/clips... technically, everything that isn't welded on.

On older cars, body flexing or body panels moving against its mount because of flexing, can sometimes cause creaks and 'tick' noises when certain corners of the vehicle is subjected to stress.

This may sound funny and draconian but have you tried locking yourself or an assistant inside the trunk and have you/someone drive the car (carefully) over a pothole? That will help localize the source of the rattle. But do this in a controlled environment (parking lot, driveway, or a seldom-used street).

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    This may sound funny and draconian but have you tried locking yourself or an assistant inside the trunk and have you/someone drive the car (carefully) over a pothole? That will help localize the source of the rattle. But do this in a controlled environment (parking lot, driveway, or a seldom-used street).
    Funny, but we actually tried that out of desperation. To be a bit humane though, I opened the 60/40 split rear seats to get some air into the trunk. [emoji16]

The guy isolated the noise to the left rear quarter panel. We tried checking all the suspension bits and they checked out fine.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. How's the pricing of Cruven? Might bring it there for diagnosis
    My cousin just gave a tip to the mehanic. Check up lang daw ginawa sabi ng mechanic

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    What did the noise sound like (tick, bang, tok, etc.)? How do you reporduce it or what kinds of bumps/potholes does it respond to and at what speed?

Is it a one-time tick or does it dribble?

Describe it as detailed as possible.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    What did the noise sound like (tick, bang, tok, etc.)? How do you reporduce it or what kinds of bumps/potholes does it respond to and at what speed?

Is it a one-time tick or does it dribble?

Describe it as detailed as possible.
    It dribbles, and I'm able to reproduce the sound when I pass through small road imperfections. I usually run over cat-eyes in the middle of the road to make the sound come out.

It sound a bit like putting a marble in a jar and shaking it. The sound comes out at any speed.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You didn't mention about checking the brakes. It could be the brake pads rattling about (it could happen if it somehow didn't self-adjust or the brake pads have become worn out). Does the noise stop, continue or change in pitch while the brakes are applied?

If it's behind the quarter panel, I'd go one more step and remove the interior lining on that side. With a suitable mirror and a good flashlight, you should be able to visually see behind the double-wall. Or do it while driving the car one more time with your guy in the trunk.
    Last edited by oj88; November 23rd, 2015 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Unknown Kalampag (Not Suspension-related)