New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The C.Drive also has a more sophisticated tire groove pattern, which is rather similar to the Dunlop Sport 01 which our Altis came with:

C.Drive

Sport 01

The A.Drive on the other hand has a simpler 3-groove design:

Which is more like the LM703 (which I really wouldn't wanna try again if I had the choice, given its poor showing in terms of quality):
    Last edited by jut703; February 27th, 2012 at 02:23 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Oh yeah, back to my original question, which of these tires are still safe to be used?

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I have 3 out of 5 tires for our Altis which seemingly have defects, but I need to know which two I can still use until I get my tires replaced.

Here's the first tire, a Dunlop Sport 01 (205/55 R16), currently my spare tire. It was punctured twice on its sidewall, and it seems to have developed a bump:

Here's the second tire, also a Dunlop Sport 01, which by the way are the stock tires the car came with. There's seemingly a tear on the sidewall:

The third tire is new, less than a month old, a Dunlop LM703. Less than a week with the tire, it developed a large bump on the sidewall. More recently, the bump started developing tiny cracks:

I'm going to try and get the LM703 replaced under warranty, as it's practically new. I doubt that the Sport 01's will get replaced as well though, what do you guys think? My guess is that Toyota will just say it's wear and tear. The car's 2 years old by the way, and has around 35000 km on the clock.

Lastly, if I really do have to get all 3 tires replaced, what other brands do you suggest? I'm thinking of getting the tires not from the dealer anymore, as the pair of LM703's I recently got totaled over 12k, with wheel balancing included.

I've heard that the Kumho Ecsta is rather decent, how much would those tires cost in 205/55 R16 form?

Thanks guys.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To answer your question: None

On what to get, the A-Drives come as standard on the Civic with 16" tires and feedback is generally good.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    To answer your question: None

On what to get, the A-Drives come as standard on the Civic with 16" tires and feedback is generally good.
    the A drives are pretty good. much better than any dunlop LM series. these came stock with the civic FD (1.8S) and ours are still pretty decent even after 4 years and over 40,000 KMs.

the kumhos are okay as well, i think these are stock on the newer hyundais. haven't used them for a long time though (over a year old pa lang on our hyundai).

Only good experience i had with dunlops are with the LeMans RV (RV501) way back in our old CRV. the LM (701, 702 and 703) all gave me headaches (experienced a sliding tail, pothole blowout, and numerous bubbles on the side walls)

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Where have you been driving?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The A.Drives seem to have generally positive feedback. Any comments on the fact that it's locally-made? I've got a friend who has a Civic 1.8S, he opted for a set of Ecstas over A.Drives because he says that the locally-made A.Drives are more prone to blowouts. These are at about 5k a piece, yes?

Also, how does the A.Drive compare to the Dunlop SP Sport 01?
    And, what about the A.Drive versus the Ecsta SPT?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Where have you been driving?
    Personally, I just use it when strutting about the metro, as well as the occasional highway/provincial back-road run. The punctures were all incurred with my mother behind the wheel, mostly through hitting the gutter, such as in parking lots.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've just contacted DKC for pricing of the following tires, all 205/55 R16:

Kumho Ecsta SPT - 4.1k
    Dunlop SP Sport LM703 - 4.3k
    Yokohama A.Drive - 4.9k
    Bridgestone Turanza ER300 - ~6k (no stock, pending price increase)
    Dunlop SP Sport 01 - 6.8k
    Yokohama C.Drive - no price, no stock, per order basis

I guess I'll be going with the Kumhos then.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Been reading reviews and forum feedback of the LM703, grip isn't great either.

The Ecstas seems like a good choice at this point.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just to update, I've finally gotten a pair of Kumho Ecsta SPTs. Got them at DKC for 4.1k a pop.

Right now, I'm running a weird combination of tires - Dunlop LM703 on the front/left side with about 1000 km on it (still pretty fresh, about a month old), Dunlop SP Sport 01 on the front/right side (came with the car, about 50-70% tread life), and the Ecstas at the rear.

I'm just waiting for the replacement of my other LM703 which had a bump on the sidewall, and this would replace the front/right SP Sport 01 which will be relegated to spare-tire duties as it's almost a 3-year old tire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Which Tires Can I Still Use?