New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Guys, if your ride is lower in front and your ride is rwd. do you lose some tractions on your rear wheels?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    depends on how your suspension is set up.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    how does it depends po?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Disclaimer: This is a guess...

If the suspension loads the rear wheels just fine even with a lower front end, there shouldn't be a problem. Traction is, among other things, a function of weight over the driven axle and wheels. I'm not sure how exactly, but there may be a way of setting up the suspension to optimize traction even with a lowered front ride height.

Like I said, this is a guess...correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    This is just my observation. It shouldn't lose any traction at the rear tires unless of course your front end has so much weight, maybe due to a heavier engine, that it tilts to the front. If that happens, then the car would be incredibly hard to steer.

Take this for example:

Although that car is designed for the drag strip, the front end is lower than the back end yet the chassis lay-out is still level despite the obviously heavier engine upfront.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It all depends on the rear geometry. How much squat it allows, how well it can keep the wheels on the ground... hard enough to push wheels into ground but soft enough to stop wheel hop or axle hop... etcetera.

In really slippery conditions, the static weight balance will matter more, but on regular roads, the suspension tuning plays a bigger part.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    that makes sense. thanks a lot guys.

+rep added to all. except sir niky. cannot give more points yet.
    Last edited by rion; June 10th, 2008 at 08:25 PM.

Tire traction in unleveled ride