The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My tire has a specification of 185/65R14 82H

i know the "185" stands for the tire diameter,
    the "65" is the height,
    the "R" is for Radial.
    "14" is the size of the wheels

i also know that the 82H stands for the speed rating of the tire which is at 180 kmh. all these data are in the owners manual.

my question is, if i change to V or Z rated tires, will my car be faster? or at least i will feel its faster?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    SPEED RATING INDEX

Rating/Speed/Use

N/87/140kph,spare tires
    P/93/150kph
    Q/99/160kph,winter,LT tires
    R/106/170kph,LT tires
    S/112/180kph
    T/T118/190kph
    U/124/200kph
    H/130/210kph,sport sedans
    V/149/240kph/sports cars
    Z/149/240kph and over,sports cars
    W/168/270kph,exotic sports cars
    Y/186/300kph,exotic sports cars

got it from C! magazine.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by benchph1
    my question is, if i change to V or Z rated tires, will my car be faster? or at least i will feel its faster?
    your car will not be faster by changing to higher speed rating tires. the speed rating is the maximum speed your car can go without your tires bursting or spin out of control.

pls. correct if i'm wrong.
    Signature

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by benchph1
    My tire has a specification of 185/65R14 82H

i know the "185" stands for the tire diameter,
    the "65" is the height,
    the "R" is for Radial.
    "14" is the size of the wheels

i also know that the 82H stands for the speed rating of the tire which is at 180 kmh. all these data are in the owners manual.

No, and another no answer. Tires don't produce power to make you go fast.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by boybi
    your car will not be faster by changing to higher speed rating tires. the speed rating is the maximum speed your car can go without your tires bursting or spin out of control.

pls. correct if i'm wrong.
    well and 'nuff said :cool:

although Speed Rating Index is not necessarily for a specific car, tire manufacturers do have a higher speed rating on some of their ultra high performance tire line-up. I have a Yokohama AVSES100 W Speed Rating, but my car is not an exotic sports car :lol:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Karding
    well and 'nuff said :cool:

although Speed Rating Index is not necessarily for a specific car, tire manufacturers do have a higher speed rating on some of their ultra high performance tire line-up. I have a Yokohama AVSES100 W Speed Rating, but my car is not an exotic sports car :lol:
    Same here :lol: I have Hankook Ventus 104 with speed rating of Y :lol: I like using it because it makes me feel more comfortable taking that off ramp *80mph ;)

Tire Speed rating question