New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    hi guys.. i am sorry for this noob question.. i dont even know if this inquiry has a sense.

i am planning to change my tires.. i was just thinking if it is possible for me to upgrade the sidewall of my tire? like from 205/45/16 to 205/55/16?

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That should work. Obviously, the 55 has a taller profile than the 45 so speedometer accuracy will be slightly affected.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That's almost an inch in height difference. Not worth it. The car won't ride any better (unless you pump the tires way down... which is dangerous) and the tires may rub the fenders over humps.

If you're doing this for reasons of ride comfort, just buy smaller wheels.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That's almost an inch in height difference. Not worth it. The car won't ride any better (unless you pump the tires way down... which is dangerous) and the tires may rub the fenders over humps.

If you're doing this for reasons of ride comfort, just buy smaller wheels.
    if the height is maintained but width is increased, what is the effect on ride comfort?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on how much wider. If it's significantly wider at the same height, then the tire is heavier and will ride worse. If it's just modestly wider (like 205 vs 195), the difference will be slight.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Depends on how much wider. If it's significantly wider at the same height, then the tire is heavier and will ride worse. If it's just modestly wider (like 205 vs 195), the difference will be slight.
    how about from 175 to 195? may nag-advise kasi sa akin para mabasawan tagtag nung jazz ko ay kailangan palaparin ung gulong.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by s10pao View Post
    how about from 175 to 195? may nag-advise kasi sa akin para mabasawan tagtag nung jazz ko ay kailangan palaparin ung gulong.
    You'll have to ask on the Jazz forums. GD Jazz ba? GD United might be your best bet. I've felt that the ride on the Jazz is better on the bigger wheels on the 1.5 variants, but I've never driven the 1.3 and 1.5 back to back. Still... a lot depends on the specific wheels and tires you are going to use, so finding out from people who have done it on your specific car is the way to go.

tire sidewall upgrade?