New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Whats a good tire and rim width for old school cars?
    For muscle? Is it necessarily the wider the better? Staggered? How wide can you go before having to take out the wheelwell or turning becomes an issue?

How about Euro? The old benzes don't seem to have wide tires, will wider tires make it look ricey?

And where can we get those 14-15 inch tires with 225 and higher width?

Oh and friend told me that you could get tires with a rated with of 185 but it would be wider kasi that number represents tread width only. So the tire would have a tread width of 185 but would actually be the same width as, say, a bridgestone 225.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For american muscle - good 'ol TORQUE THRUST in all fours - staggered (225 upfront and 255 rear). Pwede rin MAGNUM 500 for the period look.

For classic 2-door Euros - wire-wheels

Supplier - unfortunately, you've got to order abroad (coker tires; wheel vintiques, summit racing, etc...)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for the reply woodfire

I was hoping we could source out some 15's with 225 and bigger widths here but it seems well have to import or source from some people who have them stashed somewhere. I was thinking kasi what happens if we get a blowout or something like that, then itl mean well have to leave our girls parked at home while a new tire is flown in

anyone know where we can get our hands on cragar ss, magnums and torque thrusts locally? would the cost be roughly the same if she had them shipped?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    There's no such thing as an "ideal" size....it really depends on your car and what you want to achieve. In general though, wider tire widths are possible in the later years (69-73).

Auto Options along Timog has Torq Thrusts and BFG Radial T/A's but with their prices, you can consider bringing in your own wheels/tires. The only tire sizes they stock are 225/60 and 235/60, both in 15". No local source of Cragars or Magnums unfortunately.

I'm actually selling a set of freshly chromed 15" Cragar knockoffs and a pair of 235/60 15" BFG Radial T/A's (brand new) if you're interested. I upgraded to Magnum 500's and 275/50 15 even before my car's completed so I'm letting my old ones go.

Tire and Rim Width for old school