New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    good day tsikoteers,

ask ko lang if your going for a road trip, how much tire pressure do you put in? lets say batangas? less than what you normally put or just the same? whats the logic on it?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    If your tire are original that come's out with the car follow the car manufacturer recommendation, it is in your manual and if it's not, look on the tire sidewall for proper inflation. Remember, under inflated tire can shorten the tread and integrity of your tire, so with over.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The manufacturer recommended pressures are almost always meant for comfort settings. It is ideal to go with those, or just a bit higher, to obtain optimal fuel economy as well as good comfort levels (any higher and it'll be too bouncy, any lower and your fuel economy suffers).

Don't forget the spare tire - typically inflate the spare 4 psi higher than the four on the ground.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    just follow car manufacturer recommended tire pressure

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    For daily use, I usually put in 2 - 6 psi more than the recommended tire pressure, mainly for fuel economy, since the stiffer ride can be offset by the suspension.

For extended trips, such as a whole day's drive to Bicol, I add around 2 psi more, to compensate for the extra weight of passengers and luggage.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    some of the old school pips told me that if your going for a long trip, put in less than the recommended. the reason daw is the air expands on long-high speed drives...

is this true?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Regardless of whether you drive short distances or long distances, the air gets hot due to the friction with the road surface, so the they need to expand. But since the tire volume is constant, the pressures increase instead. Whoever told you that was wrong. In fact it's recommended to increase the pressures on high speed drives, to get less rolling resistance, better fuel economy, and compensate for the increased load associated with carrying passengers and baggage.

To state an example, my car's recommended pressures are 28F, 32R but for speeds in excess of 100mph, it is recommended to bump up the pressure to plus 4 psi per tire while they're cold.

After slow or city driving, the tire pressure increase by 4psi.

After fast or highway driving, the tire pressures increase by 8psi.

In the same example, let's say the tires are rated at 90T (max speeds around 118mph). The tire pressures I have are 28F, 32R.

If I drive in the city they'll reach 32F, 36R. If I drive on the highway, they'll reach 36F, 40R.

If I drive above 100mph, I need to bump the tire pressures by 4 psi, so that makes them 32F, 36R, using cold reading.

So when I do drive at 100mph, the pressures will increase to 40F, 44R, for the hot reading.

44 psi is roughly around the maximum tire pressure allowed for the wheels I have, so the numbers are just right.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by mbeige; May 11th, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    some of the old school pips told me that if your going for a long trip, put in less than the recommended. the reason daw is the air expands on long-high speed drives...

is this true?
    Wrong, stay away that school.
    Tyres of todays are much much better than it was since technology are getting better and better. However, due to heat build up, the pressure in the tyre increase depending on the temperature increases but, the low elasticity of the tyre and the steel wire reinforcement doesnt allow much expansion. So pressure should always be checked when tyre is cold, not at the end of long driving when the pressure is slightly higher.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    ^ +1 on that sir.

However, since Fuel Economy is better with less rolling resistance...Why do people still use 205's -->265 width tires. Performance/ Handling versus Fuel economy?

With petrol prices in manila breaching 50 pesos/li. Should folks lean towards narrower tires for the following reasons.
    1. Cheaper Tires
    2. Easier on the Power Steering System
    3. Less Rubber to burn
    4. Less Petrol
    5. Less Pollution from Less petrol

Thinking out loud..and O/T na ata..sorry.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    6. Easier to pass through standing water too but that also takes into consideration the tread pattern...

tire pressure for long trips?