New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's what I found about different types of suspension set-ups.

double-wishbone aka equal length A-arm

Suspension Design:Types of Suspensions

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    thanks sir karding. i once downloaded this freeware CAD software called FreeCAD -- meron syang bundled na CAD drawing(and apparently animations) of the common suspension systems as well B)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    badkuk, I was doing another research about DWB suspension kaya nag post na din ulit ako dito ng link.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chieffy
    may understeer and double wishbone suspension pero more stable compared with McPherson Struts suspension (front) lalo na sa cornering....yun lang po alam ko
    Yup... kinda got that feeling driving an SiR and my Lynx RS back to back. The SiR gives in to understeer more quickly, but feels just as stable through tire-scrubbing turns.

Di pala multi-link ang Lynx? Whatever it is, it's the best rear suspension around... :D... What most people don't know, also, is that handling is often dependent on rear suspension design, and the Lynx has a passive rear-steer built into its suspension. That's why the Vios at City, no matter how well they drive on the road, still have some understeer issues.

That article on suspension needs to be updated. Many manufacturers are going back to beam axles because they save space and are economical. Good suspension tuning can often negate some of the problems of a beam design. Look at the Sentra! The big issue with the Sentra's rear beam is that it doesn't allow you to camber the rear wheels, and doesn't introduce dynamic camber under cornering loads, which is not good for grip... but at least the wheels aren't cambered all the way out (which looks stupid, by the way) when you lower the car to the ground... a common sight on lowered Lancers and Civics.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    niky, the article is not about what is being used massively on current cars. The article talks about the evolution of suspension systems. Now whether we go back to Axle-beam or not, the evolution of new suspension system continues. Next up, the BOSE suspension system.

The only cars that do not feature this design are vehicles where price and space are of more concern than performance.
    exactly what the article has mentioned.

And you are correct, the trend is going back to axle-beam and McPherson.

What could save space without compromising much ride comfort is mazda's suspension set-up, currently found on most of their line-up.
    Last edited by Karding; November 11th, 2005 at 05:59 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    the bose suspension system seems promising.

there was a design din dati that used chocolate as a suspension component in the shocks, varying the stiffness by changing electricity being routed through the choco...i wonder what happened to it?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    the rear suspension of the lynx is just an evolution of the rear suspension of the ford laser a few years back. rear steer din ang ad nila before.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Personally, I don't like hydrolastic or any of those echechebureche suspensions... gas shocks and springs are just so much easier to maintain, and do the work almost as well.

Hehe... considering the Laser became the 323 which became the Lynx, I'm not surprised. There's very little difference at first sight between a late 323 suspension and a Lynx suspension.

Tama ka, Karding, that Mazda3/Focus suspension is one top-notch job... how they managed to cram all that suspension work under the car without compromising space or the ride is dumbfounding. It's a much better solution than the Corolla and Sentra's beam axles.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
suspension systems