New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Do we have like a rule of thumb on what type of shocks versus the corresponding drop? Perhaps in this format
    Drop: Spring: Shocks:
    1"-1.5" H&R, NF, Espelir Stock gas shock
    1.5"-1.75" H&R, DF, Espelir KYB Excel G
    and so on..
    I'm doing some research on this and all I've got so far were threads on manufacturer versus the desired drop.

It depends on the type of shocks and springs that you have. With the basic lowering springs that don't have too drastic a drop, stock gas shocks should be good enough with the Altis. It may differ if you opt for a drastic drop and stiffer spring rates where you may have to go with stiffer, sport shocks.

Keep the shocks you have first then evaluate it as you put on the springs.
    Sir Vinj, is 2" drop considered too drastic already? thanks for the help

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It all depends on the spring used.

If you cut the stock springs to achieve a 2" drop on the 04, your stock shocks will give out, definitely. Cutting that many coils off the stock units increases spring rate through the roof and the stock shocks can't take it. Also, the limited suspension travel will play merry hell with your bushing and joints.

If you install lowering springs... some of them are soft enough for stock shocks, but it's best to ask on a Toyota-specific club board for which ones are mildest.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Thank you so much for the replies guys..

I already had my car lowered yesterday. I ended up having tein s-tech which i assume one of the decent springs out there. I had it for 12k and pay additional 1.1k for installation and wheel alignment in another shop. The drop is pretty good I guess; 1.5", leaving me a 2-finger gap on the fender.

Apparently my stock shocks are OEM fluid type and according to the guys who installed the springs, these shocks are still in pretty good shape so I was thinking sayang naman kung papalitan na.

I need to know what are my options. 1.) Do I REALLY have to replace them with gas shocks right away? or 2.) Replace them ONLY when they're showing signs of failure. Price-wise #2 is the logical option but I'm a bit hesitant because I don't know exactly the repercussions of this to my other suspension parts. I could resort to #2 but I need to know the projected life of my stock fluid shocks in a lowering springs (which I don't have any clue!!) and replace them before the actual failure occurs (a predictive maintenance of some sort). I also need inputs on what other suspension parts that are most likely to fail in my current set-up.

Any ideas? First hand experience is very much appreciated.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It really depends on the type of driving and how bad the roads in your area are. If the roads are bad, then failure will occur sooner than later. If they're glass smooth and you slow way down for bumps, then you might get another year or two out of them... also depending on how far you drive every year.

Ball joints and bushings can give way if you drive on blown shocks with stiff springs, so be alert for signs of impending shock failure... weird knocks and rattles or uncomfortable bouncing on the highway.

Mind you... "gas" shocks (actually, gas-charged hydraulic fluid shocks) aren't a guarantee against shock failure (got gas shocks for the Sentra before, and they failed within a year when mated with lowering springs... but then I drive hard and I drive a hell of a lot), but they're much better than fluid at resisting cavitation and bouncing when the fluid overheats.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    thanks niky..

well i guess switching to gas shocks is a better option now..afterall it's better to be safe than sorry..

Thank you so much..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
suspension of altis 04