New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    the leak is coming from output shaft where the pitman arm is attached. im not running out of power steering fluid in big quantity naman.... i top up around 100ml or more in 6 months duration....i know how to remove it from its location because i have the necessary tools to remove it such as the two jaw puller.... thunder automotive parts in binondo have the repair kit available for the repair... however, im not experienced on how to open up the assembly.... minerva tire gallery in alabang can service my vehicle, however i would like get more recommendation on where i could have it repaired.... as i have noted, i can remove the steering gearbox assembly and just carry it together with the repair kit for repair nalang to save time, fuel and money..... below is a pic of the assembly :

on the left pic, the output shaft is the one with red colored spindle.... on the right pic, the center nut surrounded by the 4 bolts that holds the output shaft is i think the adjusting nut.... i was warned by the dealership not to re-adjust it and have them work on it nalang.... but i dont want to bring it to the dealership because they charge a hefty amount to repair it....

i appreciate your input guys specially those who are into 4x4s or those that have done it already. it may not be on the same vehicle but i think most suvs have the same kind of steering gearbox principle....

thanks guys...

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    how much ho ba they're charging you? pls note that the steering cover seal is not included in the repair kit and you have to buy it separately. have seen many worn pitman shaft kaya sometimes rebuilding it is useless. my advice is look for a shop that know this stuff (torque specs, etc), you missed one ball and other internal parts and you'll end up buying a new steering gear.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    actually the dealership wants to replace the whole assembly. for minerva, i havent inquired yet. but nemerson sales and thunder automotive both in binondo gave me the referral. i buy my consumable parts from them kasi... yes there are two repair kits for the steering gearbox according to thunder and i have to buy both... any recommendation sir?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    sir, do you service jeep cherokees? isnt it that its steering gearbox is made by ac delco. the same manufacturer as suburbans.... im looking at a pic of the cherokees stearing gearbox and is a look alike of the one i have for my suburban... part number is different though....

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    yes sir i'm doing all chrysler veh and some gm's too. actually the gearbox is not made by gm it's made by "SAGINAW" that supplies it to gm, chrysler and i think for ford also.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    ok sir... i will consider you as one of my options.... thanks for the info...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    OT those two autoparts store knew me too (ernie of motortech)

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    they didnt mention you sir or your shop.... i also bring my vehicle to magnatech in cubao.... but it seems they dont know the name too.....

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    he he i'm sure magnatech will also be all smile if you'll tell them thunder and nemersons don't know them either

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    hehehe..... maybe i just spoken to their new parts attendant..... but with nemerson, its their chinese front liner guy that i always buy from... probably of all the shops that buy parts from them, minerva is the most frequent.... or probably because i leave south of metro manila, its minerva that pops their shop list...

Suburban Steering Gearbox leaking