New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Some Miata owners weld in a plate to the firewall to reinforce it around the master cylinder. But that bracket looks like a more elegant solution.

Quote Originally Posted by paolorenzo View Post
    It's a 15+ year old CRV. Rotors are damaged and need replacing. The price of refacing or replacing isn't very much cheaper than slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads online. And since I'm already doing that upgrade, it only makes sense (at least for me) to also consider the brake line upgrade.

So for me, it isn't BS. Thanks for your insight. I'll ask the mechanic if hoses can still endure another 5 years.
    For your use, it isn't worth it. Brand new rubber lines will last the rest of the usable life of the car.

Buy new (regular) rotors, flush the system, upgrade to better brake pads (up front). That's all you'll ever need on a CR-V. It doesn't have nearly half enough mechanical grip or braking performance to need stainless lines.

Even worse, an excessive crimp in one of the lines, or rubbing against something (like the bracket they typically slot through on the suspension upright), can actually cause extra wear to the rubber hose inside, causing leaks and sudden failures. A brand new rubber line has no such problems.

In other words... if you ain't racing, stick to rubber lines. Like I've said: STAINLESS ONLY MAKES SENSE IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS UPGRADED. Stainless lines alone do absolute dip for an otherwise completely stock braking system.
    Last edited by niky; May 9th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Stainless Steel braided brake hoses