New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I find myself looking for that Valvoline stuff at the local Autozones for my diesel's next oil change.

I might also get the same stuff for the 300TE after reading this test. We'll see. It's getting colder so I'll use a thinner oil maybe 10W-30, currently using 20W-50 for summer use.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    mazdamazda, kung ganun nga auto nya baka pwede pa! hehe!

Josh0027, nope, they only make fully synthetic oil.

seonadancing, yes we can. by the way bimmers are not covered in the promo price the filter is much more expensive than the jap ones kasi and normally your 3 series will consume between 5-6 liters depending on the engine. the 5w30 oil is perfect for your bmw though.

banawe, SRP for royal purple is only 440/liter in any viscosity. the XPR race oil is expensive pero is not really necessary for a daily driver.

userfriendly, the long life rated is really only good for extended drain intervals naman. if you travel 10k kms or less before changing the oil then any synthetic oil which meets the API certification should be ok.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    speedyfix... does you have a 10W-30 Royal Purple (according to their website, they have one)? It's the one recommended for the 1AZ-FE for tropical temperatures.

Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    From my readings of other oil sites, this kind of test only shows shear strength of an oil and should not be the sole basis in rating an oil. Shearing occurs earlier in thinner oils but only if stressed like in racing or an overheating engine. Shear tests (hths) are done at 150deg C, not many engines can survive at this temp.
    There are other oil properties which are as important: Viscosity at different temps to provide adequate cooling and lubrication, viscosity index, sulfated ash for diesels, etc. Even the source of the synthetic base oil is important and there are many brands that just buy their base oil.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, Royal Purple also reportedly does well on another test which detects loss of viscosity after heating (a test done by AMSOIL to tout their superior strength)... both Royal Purple and Amsoil lose a tiny bit of viscosity due to heat, whereas some other synthetics (including Shell Helix Ultra) lose a heck of a lot (so my 5w40 ends up being something like 5w30... or less... as indicated in AMSOIL's test).

I've noticed over the past two oil changes that there's no oil consumption or that oil consumption is nearly un-noticeable when the oil is new, but once past 4000 kms, my Helix Ultra starts getting lower and lower. My first interval with Helix Ultra only lasted 6000 kms. I didn't dare take it any further because it was already 1 liter low. Had the engine checked for compression... compression was good. After the oil change, no consumption in the first 3000 kms again... then after 4000, it started eating again. I am officially sick of this stuff.

Hear that, Shell? I love V-Power. I'll buy your gear oil... but Helix Ultra 5w40 just plain sucks!... it's nice for making power, but it's just waaaaaaay too thin over time.

It's normal for your car to start drinking the oil once it gets dirty enough, but I was assured that Helix Ultra was good for a 10,000 km interval! I feel kind of cheated. :mad:

The only negative against Royal Purple in AMSOIL's test (obviously, AMSOIL has to come out on top... it's their test... :hysterical) is the size of the particulates suspended in the oil after a certain amount of time. But I believe this is more due to the Synerlec additive (calcium particles ba?) that are suspended in the oil. Anyway, I don't plan on doing greater than 5000 km intervals with the oil.

Also note that Royal Purple didn't get top marks in the test posted in the first page... which means it's not an advertisement for RP, either.
    Last edited by niky; October 15th, 2007 at 10:10 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    mazdamazda, yup we do kasama din sya sa promo

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    good read here! tamang-taman, lapit na ko mag change oil. have been an avid mobil 1 and havoline energy fan. pero mukhang ok nga ang royal purple. will try it next.

sir speedyfix...

pwede ba bili lang ng RP oil sa inyo? tama ba, 440 per liter? or can you PM me authorized autoshops na nagbebenta nito para bili na lang ako kung saan malapit sa akin.

thanks!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nyagi View Post
    good read here! tamang-taman, lapit na ko mag change oil. have been an avid mobil 1 and havoline energy fan. pero mukhang ok nga ang royal purple. will try it next.

sir speedyfix...

pwede ba bili lang ng RP oil sa inyo? tama ba, 440 per liter? or can you PM me authorized autoshops na nagbebenta nito para bili na lang ako kung saan malapit sa akin.

thanks!
    BANAWE AUTO SUPPLY
    22 BANAWE STREET Q.C.

we also sell ROYAL PURPLE... for those who are interested pm ...me

our store is located corner or e.rodriguez BANAWE AUTO SUPPLY for those looking for nearer locations ...

7120115, 7120124 look for regy

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    nyagi, the complete lineup of the RP oils can be found in HRC banawe, speedyfix and ERL. not sure about the other shops kasi di pa sila complete sa lineup

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Well, Royal Purple also reportedly does well on another test which detects loss of viscosity after heating (a test done by AMSOIL to tout their superior strength)... both Royal Purple and Amsoil lose a tiny bit of viscosity due to heat, whereas some other synthetics (including Shell Helix Ultra) lose a heck of a lot (so my 5w40 ends up being something like 5w30... or less... as indicated in AMSOIL's test).

I've noticed over the past two oil changes that there's no oil consumption or that oil consumption is nearly un-noticeable when the oil is new, but once past 4000 kms, my Helix Ultra starts getting lower and lower. My first interval with Helix Ultra only lasted 6000 kms. I didn't dare take it any further because it was already 1 liter low. Had the engine checked for compression... compression was good. After the oil change, no consumption in the first 3000 kms again... then after 4000, it started eating again. I am officially sick of this stuff.

Hear that, Shell? I love V-Power. I'll buy your gear oil... but Helix Ultra 5w40 just plain sucks!... it's nice for making power, but it's just waaaaaaay too thin over time.

It's normal for your car to start drinking the oil once it gets dirty enough, but I was assured that Helix Ultra was good for a 10,000 km interval! I feel kind of cheated. :mad:

The only negative against Royal Purple in AMSOIL's test (obviously, AMSOIL has to come out on top... it's their test... :hysterical) is the size of the particulates suspended in the oil after a certain amount of time. But I believe this is more due to the Synerlec additive (calcium particles ba?) that are suspended in the oil. Anyway, I don't plan on doing greater than 5000 km intervals with the oil.

Also note that Royal Purple didn't get top marks in the test posted in the first page... which means it's not an advertisement for RP, either.
    Hay akala ko ako lang ang may ganitong symptoms. Di ko lang matandaan kung after ilan kms bago ko napapansin na nababawasan na ako ng oil. Tingin ko mga 3000-4000 kms nga yun.

thanks speedyfix. i'm becoming more inclined with rp.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Shocking truth about Oils!