New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Actually, on the safety side, low profile tires are already safer when it comes to getting a flat, as the difference in height isn't as great as with "balloon" tires... there's even a device being sold in the US that'll help keep tires from coming off the rims when they go flat... which is the number one safety feature of run-flats... this'll give you 90% of the safety of run-flats, but not the convenience... it's a simple device, really, and it helps that you only need to buy it once, then just keep changing your regular (non-run-flat) tires.

I'd imagine run-flats can be vulcanized, but I don't know if they're any harder to get off the rim than regular tires.
    Niky, Here's an interesting article on run flats http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/au...bjects/T/Tires

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013

anyone here using Run Flats on their non-European daily driver?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    I've read through the previous comments (from 14 years ago).

All I can say is given the cost of these tires, para lang talaga ito sa mga cars of VIPs etc .(with armoring/bulletproofing) so they can continue driving for a certain distance & speed even if the tires are shot at.

Pero kung para maka iwas lang sa hassle na magpalit ng gulong & vulcanizing... nah.
    I wonder if these tires can be vulcanized/repaired (will look it up nga- na curious tuloy).

BTW, I know may mas practical variation din for general public use din ata ito dati (like 2 thinner tires on a special rim- may billboard nito sa E Rod. between Gilmore & Hemady) but it never became mainstream. Baka sobra mahal.
    Extra aquaplaning resistant din daw because of the deep channel between the twin tires...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post

anyone here using Run Flats on their non-European daily driver?
    Just don’t, even Whistl3r would not suggest it and he’s the expert on tires. They are quite expensive. Some new ones (18s or 19s) would be around 20k each or more. They can’t also be vulcanized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Just don’t, even Whistl3r would not suggest it and he’s the expert on tires. They are quite expensive. Some new ones (18s or 19s) would be around 20k each or more. They can’t also be vulcanized.
    Ayun na nga.

For the cost of one tire, pwede na bumili ng set of almost 4 ordinary radials- yung mga maliliit `13 or`14 of course na cheap brands....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Ayun na nga.

For the cost of one tire, pwede na bumili ng set of almost 4 ordinary radials- yung mga maliliit `13 or`14 of course na cheap brands....
    I guess even 8 pieces. Nasa 2500 to 3k lang yung budget brands na 15” or smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    What Egan101 said. Expensive. Matagtag pa. The reinforced sidewalls have little to no give compared to normal tires. You'll also need to have a TPMS installed so you don't go around wrecking the tire by going over the speed/range limit when it is flat. Di kasi masyado ramdam sa RFT kung flat na. Finding a replacement is also hard as most importers only keep a few in stock. Madalas walang stock.

Luxury cars need to have these because they have removed the spare to make way for extra storage space.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; March 14th, 2022 at 02:40 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I actually saw this vlog kaya bigla kong naisip kung normal na ba run flats...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Run Flat Tires