New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Just bought a Dunlop 185/R14 8 ply tire any comments about it esp. that its steelbelted.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Steel belted tyres, unlike nylon belted ones, has a stronger band because, well, the cord band around the innards of the tyre is made of steel. Unlike nylon cords or bands, steel cord bands do not expand due to inflation pressure. However, if you run a steel-belted tyre flat or having a very low tyre pressure, the steel cord band would tend to deform, hence one source of "lobo", "oblong" or "bukol" on your tyres. Same goes for potholes: if you hit a pot-hole at high speed with your steel-belted tyre, chances are the steel cord band is already deformed.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, my dad use to work at BF Goodrich plant in marikina, steel belted tires are relatively stronger than nylon lang pero pagdating sa wear-out, the nylon last longer...in fact it was so long that the tires with pure nylon ply can be recapped (recycled).

In the 70's normal lang ang recapping ng tires, hindi na uso ito ngayon. The reason why they adapted the steel belts was purely business...para masira naman yung tires at bumili ka ng bago...instead of having it recapped.

just my 2 cents.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    di po ba delikado ang recap dahil pag matanggal ung nirecap na parte ng gulong habang natakbo ka ng mabilis eh andaling madisgrasya?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Recap is ok kung mga hanggang 120kph-140kph lang ang takbo mo. Basta marunong din ang nag-recap.

Pero talagang steel belted na ang mga modern tires. Better performance, more safety than their nylon ancestors. Ang nylon na lang ngayon na mabibili mo ay yung mga mga pang-truck/jeepney or yung mga pang-vintage cars.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    meron pa bang radial NON steel belted tires ngayon? From what I know, all radials are all steel belted already, so no choice tayo.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Definitely safer... a blowout back in the 80's on older tires was a nightmare of fishtailing, loss-of-control and trying to bring the vehicle to a stop.

On today's steel-belted radials, with less chance of tread separation, as well as tubeless construction, I've had deflations at highway speeds that I only noticed when the car started slowing down from the tire drag.

IMHO, di hamak na shorter ang life-span ng steel belts versus nylon. Using really old rubber gives you much, much less grip than buying new tires every two years. I know which makes me feel safer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Pros and Cons of Steelbelted tires