New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    I have a leak on my power steering.

I am from UST Espana.

Car is a TOYOTA RAV4 Gen1

Please help.

1. I need a trusted mechanic and car shop near my place, meron ka bang alam? pls give telephone no.

2. Mas maganda ba sa banaue magpagawa para malapit ang parts?

3. Lastly, how many hours or days kaya gagawin itong problem nato?

4. price estimate please...

Thanks in advance...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dunno about the RAV as 4WD systems take a lot more time to dismantle than FWD cars... Usually if there's a repair kit available, parts would be around P2K or so... OEM would be more expensive, of course... Labor (dati) was about 2-3K depending on complexity.

You have to localize what's really leaking first, though... since the system is pressurized, it can leak from different places...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Thanks for the estimate theveed.

Mine is a 4WD - looks like it will take a longer time in assembling and disassembling. In addition, cost will be more.

Another tsikoteer messaged me that if assembly is replaced, it will take around 3 to 5 days to have this done and it will be worth around 18k. Is this price reasonable?

theveed price is 5 to 6k but the work covered is for a repair kit applied including labor.

Anymore input will be much appreciated...

Thanks theveed. Seems that i am already getting good information in having my power steering fixed.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Assembly mas mahal talaga, medyo reasonable na kung orig yung assembly for a RAV, coz sedan assemblies usually is around 13-20K as well...

Try to get your undercarriage degreased if you're getting the PS leak checked anyway... You'll get to see right away kung sa rack ba yung leak or not (and kung saan sa rack).

If your leak is near the seals, then repair kit lang kailangan mo (which is quite common), or if your leak is a simple hose/clamp from the reservoir...

High pressure hoses will be a b1tch to replace as you need to get original ones (or surplus if it fits) coz replacement/custom made ones usually aren't up to spec... As with any hydraulic-related part, it has to be just right or the pressure won't be correct internally.

If the rack rods itself got scratched or chipped, buong assembly din palit coz re-chroming the rods are expensive and won't last as well.

The P/S pump is another part that usually gets into trouble... Not sure about how RAV parts go though.

Hopefully seal repair kit lang yan... If di mo naman pinabayaan ng matagal usually repair kit lang.

Power steering leak: where to have car fixed? Model Toyota RAV4Gen1