New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i noticed that my rear tires are a little oblong. parang lubak - lubak ang surface pero slightly lang di noticeable kung di mo titigan. it is still safe to use ba? thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Time to replace. Oblong or out of round tires can fail at anytime. Failure can be as simple as defalted tires or as bad as a tire blow out.

Was in the same situation last week. Had to replace all 4 tires. 3 were out of round.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    naku sayang naman ang tire bago pa. bakit ba na ooblong ang tire?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    How new are the tires? As in when were they manufactured, not when were they installed on your car. You might want to have them evaluated at a tire shop, such as Servitek, just to be sure.

From experience, pwedeng mag-oblong ang tires kapag laging tumatama sa lubak during travel.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 13th, 2007 at 08:18 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by step22 View Post
    naku sayang naman ang tire bago pa. bakit ba na ooblong ang tire?
    Tyres go oblong when the steel belts inside either deform or break/snap. This is usually caused when you hit a bump/pothole really hard or you go over a "high" area at an an angle i.e. hitting your tyre on a sidewalk-curb while you're turning.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Can defective shocks cause a tire to go out of round?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Can defective shocks cause a tire to go out of round?
    In my experience with a previous ride - yes. My rear-left shock absorber was defective then. We (my family and I) hit a bump square with all wheels while going a bit fast for comfort. Then next day, I felt a bit of wobble, wiggle on my leaft-rear tyre. I suspected that it went out of shape because of my bad shock-absorber and because we hit that bump squarely. True enough, when I had my tyres checked, the left-rear wheel was deformed (oblong) where as the four other tyres were okay. So, if I had a good (non-defective) shock absorber installed on the left-rear section of my ride then, I probably would have saved my pocket from buying a new tyre.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    When buying tires make sure you are getting the most recently produce.

Tires has manufacturing date markings.

example H2306 first 2 digits are the week number and the last 2 digits was the year.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile2 View Post
    When buying tires make sure you are getting the most recently produce.

Tires has manufacturing date markings.

example H2306 first 2 digits are the week number and the last 2 digits was the year.
    Hmm...this might have not much of a bearing if the tyres were stored by the vendor properly i.e. humidity/heat inside storage area is controlled/constant. When I replaced the tyres of my nanay's van two years ago, the manufacturing date was almost two years from the date we bought it. It still running quite perfectly: no bumps on the tyre wall, thread is still okay and in fact, we only experienced a flat only once.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Additional:
    Also frommy Experience, when you go thru Hard on Humps/Lubak, not only your tires get oblong Also your Mags,

and yes, you also may get oblong tires with an Oblong Mag/s

oblong tires...