New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Hi guys. I'm driving a 2015 Subaru WRX. Almost 2 months ago, I had a Tein Flex Z coilover installed, along with a Ray's ZE40 wheel and Toyo tires. On my first visit to the shop, only the coilover was installed due to the tire not being available.

As I was driving home, I immediately noticed a grinding noise when stepping on the brake pedal, which sounded louder as I was coming to a full stop along with a high pitched sound like metal to metal. I called the shop and the person I was talking to suggested it was probably dirt trapped inside the brake pads, and that they'll look into it the following day when they put the new wheels on.

The next day, the new wheels and tires were installed, but the noise was still there. They cleaned the brake pads, still noises remain. It was already late when I left to test drive so I didn't bother coming back as I had to travel back home to South area. For the next month, I had to deal with the grinding noise which I really resented considering the stop and go travel we have here in Manila.

I decided to go back to the shop and have the stock suspension and wheels put back, the grinding noise was still there but not as loud or "amplified" as when the coilover installed. Braking felt smooth, and the high pitched noise when braking was completely eliminated. Me and the shop came to the conclusion that the coilover was at fault, and that I'd like to drive the car for a week using the stock parts.

I asked the shop if I could replace the Flex Z with the step up model Street Flex, and they granted my request. However, although the Street Flex provided better ride and feel, the braking noise was still there. Same noises, no difference. I went to Motor Image BGC, they cleaned the brake pads and they suggested refacing. I spent 4,000 pesos, but it didn't solve the problem.

I'm asking for opinions, and referrals to who can help me eliminate the brake noises. I don't want to go back to stock, as the car looks real slick with the current setup. I can't live with the noises though, as it's really annoying and it breaks the driving experience.

Any help would really be appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Try placing some copper grease in between caliper ang brake pads. Also bleed the system after installation. Check also your brake lines

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Bridgestone Alabang does a lot of suspension mods on Subarus. Unless that is the shop you brought it to, why not give it a try.