New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Re: Niky's post, I did experience some of the pressure loss at first when the new tires were first filled up with N2. I had to go back every few days to refill. I surmised that residual air was still in the tires & the O2 was just leaking out, hence the pressure loss. After a few refills, the pressure stabilized so I just refill every rotation cycle.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Also if not all most of the Nitrogen filling station are equipped with a Nitrogen.Generator (done by simply filtering air to membranes letting out the smaller molecules and living behind the larger molecules N2). This process best N2 product quality still have 3-5% O2 content on it. So achieving a full N2 on your tires is really not feasible unless you get your source from a UHP Nitrogen bottles from CIGI, Air Liquide, etc. Ohh bdway the primary reason aside sa mentioned above
    Post of why aircraft is using N2 on tires is due to expansion having Ordinary compressed air would blow off the tires when the plane reaches cruising altitudes. Ambient Pressures at that altitudes would over pressurized the tires😊

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    Also if not all most of the Nitrogen filling station are equipped with a Nitrogen.Generator (done by simply filtering air to membranes letting out the smaller molecules and living behind the larger molecules N2). This process best N2 product quality still have 3-5% O2 content on it. So achieving a full N2 on your tires is really not feasible unless you get your source from a UHP Nitrogen bottles from CIGI, Air Liquide, etc. Ohh bdway the primary reason aside sa mentioned above
    Post of why aircraft is using N2 on tires is due to expansion having Ordinary compressed air would blow off the tires when the plane reaches cruising altitudes. Ambient Pressures at that altitudes would over pressurized the tires😊
    More to the point, since the rubber is porous, it is impossible to keep pure nitrogen in the tires. As per the NHTSA paper, your tires, even when filled with 99% nitro, will eventually end up with 92-95% nitro. And those were truck tires they were working with, so the partial pressure of oxygen was low (truck tires were inflated to 60 psi). At 30 psi, that would be closer to 90% flat.

I can do that by simply filling my tires to 45 psi and continuously topping off until most of the oxygen bleeds off.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    I stand corrected. A few weeks ago, one of my nitro filled tires suffered a puncture. I brought it to the closest vulcanizing shop in my place & they removed the tire & patched it up. They filled it after with compressed air. Now, if the claims of nitrogen were true, the air filled tires would have a more inconsistent pressure. So, I checked the pressure to make sure they are even & recorded the pressure in the morning & when I get home in the afternoon. My route is usually from Bacoor to Carmona & back or to Malvar or Naik & back. Verdict? There is no discernible difference in the cold/hot tire pressure between the nitro equipped tires & compressed air tires.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    I stand corrected. A few weeks ago, one of my nitro filled tires suffered a puncture. I brought it to the closest vulcanizing shop in my place & they removed the tire & patched it up. They filled it after with compressed air. Now, if the claims of nitrogen were true, the air filled tires would have a more inconsistent pressure. So, I checked the pressure to make sure they are even & recorded the pressure in the morning & when I get home in the afternoon. My route is usually from Bacoor to Carmona & back or to Malvar or Naik & back. Verdict? There is no discernible difference in the cold/hot tire pressure between the nitro equipped tires & compressed air tires.
    !

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    anything to brag that "my car is better than yours"...
    as an internet expert said, "nitrogen may be advantageous for everyday drivers, but only if it were given away for free".
    about the only people i imagine, who would conceivably benefit from nitrogen in tires, would be formula racers... because nitrogen does not support fire !
    heh heh.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    anything to brag that "my car is better than yours"...
    as an internet expert said, "nitrogen may be advantageous for everyday drivers, but only if it were given away for free".
    about the only people i imagine, who would conceivably benefit from nitrogen in tires, would be formula racers... because nitrogen does not support fire !
    heh heh.
    for me, regular air with my tire inflator at home does the trick, i get to check my tires with a minimum of twice a week or before a long drive on its condition (for tire puncture because of road debris like wood nails and the likes and uneven wear)

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    someone already said it here.

just keep using ordinary air to inflate your tyres.
    if it is true that oxygen (21% of air) seeps thru rubber faster than nitrogen (78% of air),
    over a period of time, your nitrogen level inside the tyre gets higher, as the oxygen seeps out faster than nitrogen.
    eventually, after several tyre re-inflations, you will have a very high concentration of nitrogen in your tyres.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Nitrogen for Tires [Merged]