New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nitrogen gas is not explosive, in fact it's an inert gas. The gas you are probably asking about is hydrogen or helium gas to inflate tires. Helium is also inert while hydrogen is highly reactive with oxygen.

The marginal advantage of using hydrogen gas is it is lighter than air. Downside is the atomic size of hydrogen is small so it is more prone to leaking out of your tires than normal.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa tireboy 75 petot per tire..pag apat, 300 petotet. mahal pero nitry ko pa rin..

advantages..

stable temp even at high speeds at tag araw
    consistent tire pressure
    softer ride(might be psychological)

disadvantages

isa lang..

MAHAL! haha
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    pag nabutasan ka ng gulong may nitro boost ka na haha!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    human fart is not 80% nitrogen. may be you mean 80% METHANE?

helium can't be used to inflate your tyres for the same reason that hydrogen also can't be used. ever wonder why a hydrogen or helium filled baloon losses it's fill after a few days? it will leak out no matter what you do. THE MOLECULES OF HYDROGEN AND HELIUM ARE SO SMALL IT WILL PASS THROUGH THE RUBBER because the size of their molecules are smaller than the spaces between the molecules of the material containing them. kahit walang butas the molecules will pass through. heard of the terms "hydrogen impregnation" and "hydrogen embrittlement"? that is when hydrogen molecules pass through the metals of tanks and "impregnates" itself between the metal (yes, METAL) molecules, causing the metal to become brittle. even the best stainless steels can be penetrated by hydrogen and made brittle like cement, all it takes is time. so much more pag rubber, hydrogen and helium will just leak out.

another thing is hydrogen is explosive. tignan nyo wala na kayo mabibili hydrogen filled baloons ngayon, kasi bawal na at madami na naputukan at nasunog ng hydrogen filled baloons.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede rin for everyday use ang nitrogen filled tires. I've read somewhere that it helps improve fuel economy a bit since there is less rolling resistance. This was posted before at hcp:

increased tire life (25%)
    -tires stay inflated longer because nitrogen migrates 3 time slower than air
    -nitrogen eliminated internal oxidation of the tires - more rethreads

better mileage (2%)
    -nitrogen reduces tire heat, decreases rolling resistance
    -decreased rolling resistance = fuel economy
    Last edited by Supierreman; February 16th, 2005 at 02:01 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wow, if this is true, ok na ok.. sayang din yung savings sa tire and fuel.. sobrang mahal kasi nitong mga to..

so, minerva P25 for 4 tires! ayos na!! =) kaya lang, from mkna to alabang?? hmm.. ilang litro kaya yun ng diesel.. hahaha, pero ok n din =)
    Last edited by co_drums_ol; February 16th, 2005 at 01:56 AM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    i don't think nitrogen gas is needed for the tires. ang main purpose yata nito ay mas hindi sumisingaw daw ang nitrogen so hindi lumalambot ang gulong mo. i don't know if this is true. kasi sa regular air, your air pressure goes down so you have to fill up once in awhile.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Given the sealing in tires, if you do have a leak, whether its hydrogen, nitrogen, CO2, or simply compressed air, it would leak.

I just don't think hydrogen is such a hot idea inside a tire. It'd give the notion of a blow out an entirely new meaning. Keep the vidcam handy for a potential submission to Max X.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually in bicycles, some racers use helium (or was it hydrogen) for that extra edge.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    hello mga sir! newbie here...share ko lng was at minerva alabang kanina to have my weekly tire pressure check. i inquired about their nitro and accdg to my suking tire mechanic its 50 pesos per tire, then after that if ever lumambot ulit free na daw un refill. bale one time charging lng un 50 pesos. aside from track use ideal daw nitro for long distance driving kse constant temperature and pressure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Nitrogen in Tires