New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    hi everyone. Since my right front tire got punctured on the sidewall i had to replace it for safety reasons. Now i have a left tire that's about 60% through and the right that's brand new.

Are there any problems that might arise from this setup? Also, should i change the tire pressure? I was thinking, if i overinflate the new tire by 2 or 3 PSI, i might accelerate it's wear so it will even with the old tire faster am i on the right track?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    If I were you, I'd switch both rear tires with the front set.

More balanced feel at the wheel.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    if your spare tire is still new, switch it with your old tire. but remember to check the side wall for the tire date of manufacture. dont use tires older than 4 years.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    i considered good tires as important as good brakes for my car safety standpoint that's why no compromise sa akin kahit gipit ako.
    get another new set of tires (kung yung spare tire ay luma din) and swap them with the rear tires (i read somewhere before here in tsikot the link stating the reason "to minimize hydroplaning"). then choose which is better between the left front tire and old spare tire as your spare.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Get a brand new tire to replace the bad one, and use the two newer tires on the REAR wheels and keep the tire with 60% tread as spare. There's a thread here on why you should install newer tires on the rear than on the front.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I've been really researching on the subject matter...

Unfortunately my fronts which are michelin XM1s (wala palang masyadong good tire choices on 14s) are directional so it wouldn't make for a great spare. Current spare is a bi-directional (dunlop lemans) which you can put in any side of the car.

The rear tires are in worse condition- Champiro GTs that are nearing the end of it's useable lifespan. (But it still hasn't reached the wear indicator) so i'd rather have it at the back. I'm really not a spirited driver so the likelihood of fishtailing is pretty remote...

...I could get another new tire para lang magpantay and chuck out a perfectly working one... but really, could i impart mechanical damage to the car by running uneven fron tires?

Thanks for input Memphis_Raines, I'll get to drive some 100 kms. tomorrow so i'll be able to check if the feel in the steering is different...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Well, uneven tires in the front will result in a steering feel na naninimbang. Better have even tires na lang sa harap.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you can't afford to replace 4 tires....then at least 2 lagi pag magpapalit para pantay...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Buy the new tire and use the good tire you would otherwise chuck as a spare.

Seriously, when possible, buy tires in a full set, but otherwise, put the worn ones in front. You'll lose steering feel and some braking, but better front first into the wall than sideways or end over end...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

new tire mixed with old tire for the fronts