New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found this advice while looking through the Tire Rack web site:

Breaking in Your Tires

Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a "break-in" period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a "release lubricant" is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you "low tread depth tires respond quicker." Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.

NOTE: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period for optimum performance.

My questions are:

1. Is there a maximum speed that should be observed when breaking in new tires?
    2. Does this mean I have to limit myself to short city drives until my new tires are past the break-in period? (Highway driving kasi, speeds reach 80 kph and over for extended periods of time)
    3. Does anybody in Tsikot actually follow these break-in procedures and, if not, has there been any adverse effect on the new tires' performance or life span?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    totoo ba yon na dapat me break-in period yong gulong. eh sa F1 race..pagkasalpak eh... tinatakbo na agad ng pagkabilis-bilis yong sasakyan hanggang sa palitan uli. For me it's a myth.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by delprado
    totoo ba yon na dapat me break-in period yong gulong. eh sa F1 race..pagkasalpak eh... tinatakbo na agad ng pagkabilis-bilis yong sasakyan hanggang sa palitan uli. For me it's a myth.
    Most racing car pit crew keep their tires on blanket heater before putting it on the car so its already on the proper temp. But breaking in a tire for the first 1000 so km, it the first time that I heard that.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i've read that in a book before (way before the advent of net surfing) but i think the break in period is just 200 to 250 km.

what i remember:
    keep speeds below 90 kmh for the first 100 km
    it's ok to do the break-in in one sweep kaya ok lang for highway driving

i remember the book's title na. "Very Advanced Driving" from UK yun kaya mga lane merging and overtaking techniques nakakalito. right hand drive kasi eh!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Since we're in the Philippines, driving on the Aguinaldo Highway should surely break-in your tires haha.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

AFAIK, ibang compound na gamit sa F1 tyres so no need for breaking-in. and kadalasan na pinapalit kapag nag-pits e gamit na rin na tyre.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa tire dealer palang over inflate nila muna say 5 or 10 psi more than the recommended pressure. then you can lower it after a few hundred kilometers. that, i think would be enough for the tires to set properly on the rims. I would drive a brand new tire for more than 100kph after it has received a good drive (100km) or more around the city. this is not the "rule" but I just practice it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't watch F1 or other types of races, but this is what I found on the abovementioned web site regarding breaking in road racing tires:

Tire Break In

The ECSTA V700 does require break in. New tires will be slippery for their first laps, and will begin to feel better as they get scuffed in and build up heat. We recommend that drivers heat cycle their tires before using them in competition. Heat cycling helps you get the most consistent performance and tread life out of your tires. It is the process of gently bringing the tires up to temperature for a short duration and letting them cool. Ideally, you should break in your tires, remove them from your vehicle and set them aside for more than 24 hours before your track sessions and races. Often this requires running a practice session on new tires to prepare them for a future race, while you use tires prepared previously for the current race. The Tire Rack offers an automated heat cycling service that can complete this process before your tires are delivered to you.

New tire break-in period