New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gents,

What exactly is "honda genuine power steering fluid" ?
    Any highly recommended power steering fluid for civic'98 ?

Im also planning to replace my gearoil..
    how much would it cost??

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    first off, hello and welcome to tsikot.com, well you got good question there.

honestly, i suggest if you can afford it then buy the power steering fluid recommended by the manufacturer. what gives? leak in your power steering system? would you believe i haven't changed the power steering fluid of my 96 civic lxi? no mention in the owners' manual last time i checked.

for your gear oil, honda recommends the engine motor oil- not gear oil. because gear oil is thick enough unlike the engine oil. don't worry, this won't hurt your car, if in doubt you can ask your honda technicians. fairly easy to do. pwedeng i-D-I-Y.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    "honda genuine power steering fluid" is not petroleum based. It is a synthetically made fluid that does not contain any "petroleum distillates". Petroleum distillates melt anything made of rubber in the long run like o-rings and seals.

You can use any known-brand power steering fluid. There are many to choose from at True Value - just read the back label and make sure the one you choose does not contain petroleum distillates or else your power steering assembly will start to leak after a year.

Gear oil is for your manual transmission and it's usually mono-grade. Just check you user's manual for the correct grade SAE40 or SAE90.

I used to own a Civic '96 VTi A/T.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    first off, hello and welcome to tsikot.com, well you got good question there.

honestly, i suggest if you can afford it then buy the power steering fluid recommended by the manufacturer. what gives? leak in your power steering system? would you believe i haven't changed the power steering fluid of my 96 civic lxi? no mention in the owners' manual last time i checked.

for your gear oil, honda recommends the engine motor oil- not gear oil. because gear oil is thick enough unlike the engine oil. don't worry, this won't hurt your car, if in doubt you can ask your honda technicians. fairly easy to do. pwedeng i-D-I-Y.
    Thanks very much boss ian_rex.
    No visible leaks, but when i checked the fluid level, its on the low-side already. Yes, like you, i havent changed pwr steering fluid of my civic.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby91
    Gents,
    Im also planning to replace my gearoil..
    how much would it cost??
    for the gearl oil, I highly recommend Redline MT90, the price of Redline MT90 is on the high-side pero sulit.

I have a screwed-up tranny, which I'm still using, after replacing the usual suspects (clutch disk, release bearing, pressure plate, etc. etc.) I noticed there was very little improvement when it comes to shifting, so that leads me to conclude that the innards of my tranny is badly damaged.

As a last resort, I change my gear-oil into Redline MT90 and there was a very noticeable improvement.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi
    for the gearl oil, I highly recommend Redline MT90, the price of Redline MT90 is on the high-side pero sulit.

I have a screwed-up tranny, which I'm still using, after replacing the usual suspects (clutch disk, release bearing, pressure plate, etc. etc.) I noticed there was very little improvement when it comes to shifting, so that leads me to conclude that the innards of my tranny is badly damaged.

As a last resort, I change my gear-oil into Redline MT90 and there was a very noticeable improvement.
    THanks for the tip.
    Is MT90 recommended for civic?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby91
    THanks for the tip.
    Is MT90 recommended for civic?
    I know several guys using Redline MT90 in their Civics, so it's okay

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for my 2000 EK I used Caltex ATF...wala naman naging problem...para sigurado sundin mo na lang recommended na Honda Power Steering Fluid

sa M/T, engine oil na 20w-50 ang dapat mong gamitin for civic models 1998-2000...tulad ng sabi nila check mo user's manual para makasiguro ka...sa earlier civics yata gear oil with SAE 90 yung recommended...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    for the psf, if you don't plan to drain the old fluid out, get oe honda psf. if you do a flush then you can use pretty much anything.

redline mt90 is good nga, pero a bit thick. a friend of mine actually lost power on the dyno due to that. for a stock car, use regular oil. for one na medyo built and endures a lot of high speeds and take offs, the mt90 is better.

it probably cured the tranny because it is better able to coat the synchros/gears for less grinding.

HONDA Power Steering Fluid and Gearoil