New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Hi everyone,

Just got my Ranger yesterday and I find the ride wobbly and sometimes firm, especially the rear suspension.

I drive mostly on city roads and highways (which I think can be classified as light off-roading hehe), sometimes a little rough road when I go to the province, nothing serious off roading though. We have a 2012 Prado and it's my definition of a comfortable ride - not too floaty and not too firm.

Here are some of the things that I want to do to my vehicle to achieve a comfortable ride

• Change wheels and tires.
    Replace the 17" stock wheels to a 16 inches ROH steel wheel.
    Replace the stock tires (265 65 17) to 285 75 16 or maybe 295 75 16 - I really want the "tire-out-of-body" look.

Also, maybe you can recommend a good set of tires that has the ff(arranged accdg to priority):
    - White letters - I have set a look for my pick up already
    - Comfortable - softer sidewall?
    - Low road noise

Did my research but not sure if they're available here

- BF Goodrich All Terrain
    - Bridgestone All Terrain

• Shocks
    What shocks/variant can you recommend that will give the most comfortable ride? Looked at the Fortuner forum and some of them replaced their rear shocks w iron man nitrogas for better ride quality. Also, are there springs that can make the ride more comfortable?

• Leather seats with additional foaming
    Black genuine leather with extra foaming from seatmate or seat pro.

• Leaf spring "delete"
    - My uncle told me that I can remove the middle "leaf" to have a better ride. He did this to his LC70 and he told me the ride improved. Just not so sure about this if this is safe.

TIA

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The size of the wheels has little effect on the ride comfort of the Ranger. Getting fatter tires on smaller wheels will not give you the effect you desire. I'd say, save your money and buy the tires you want in the stock size.

Shocks, replace your rear shocks with something good, I use ARB adjustables. Don't know what will fit the front.

Removing one leaf typically works, but beware, your load rating will decrease. Personally, I'd change out the shocks first and see what the ride is like before dismantling the leaf springs.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The size of the wheels has little effect on the ride comfort of the Ranger. Getting fatter tires on smaller wheels will not give you the effect you desire. I'd say, save your money and buy the tires you want in the stock size.

Shocks, replace your rear shocks with something good, I use ARB adjustables. Don't know what will fit the front.

Removing one leaf typically works, but beware, your load rating will decrease. Personally, I'd change out the shocks first and see what the ride is like before dismantling the leaf springs.
    I actually want the look of the ROH steel wheels I saw at Sulit but the seller's a bit hard to contact so might go with 17' Black Rhinos.

Where did you install your ARB adjustables? How are they compared to the stock ones?

Yup, I'm aware with that. I don't really haul heavy equipment but have to double check the load rating. And would it be safe to divide the load rating to the number of leaf springs then subtract the value of the leaf springs that will be removed to get the load rating if the leaf springs will be removed? (not sure if that made sense haha)

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Put 285/60/18 or 285/75/16 mickey thompson stz and change to old man emu nitrocharger sport shocks.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    Put 285/60/18 or 285/75/16 mickey thompson stz and change to old man emu nitrocharger sport shocks.
    Thanks for this. Are Micket Rgiosib STZ's better than Bridgestone Dueler AT's? Where did you get your Old Man Emu shocks?