New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    these things were discussed already here in the forums, but for your benefit:

FLUID SHOCKS

a) comfortable smooth ride just like OEM

GAS SHOCKS

a) more stiffer ride than fluids
    b) more durable than fluids

If your car is purely stock, then fluids would go fine. But if you have plans to alter your suspension (e.g. lowered look), then gas would be feasible.

If your car mostly goes on full load, GAS is more ok.

And yes, they almost cost the same. So if durability is an issue, go for GAS.
    thanks very helpful

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    How will you know when is the time, to replace your gas type shocks?

Starmobile Up+
    Last edited by rodetor; June 26th, 2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Correction

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodetor View Post
    How will you know when is the time, to replace your gas type shocks?

Starmobile Up+
    i suppose the same as fluid type.. when the damper won't dampen anymore.
    in my case, nag-di-dribble na ang sasakyan pag daan sa hump.
    or, pag matigas na. "tumukod na".

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i suppose the same as fluid type.. when the damper won't dampen anymore.
    in my case, nag-di-dribble na ang sasakyan pag daan sa hump.
    or, pag matigas na. "tumukod na".
    I have experience na rin ang dribbling ng wheels, kapag sira na shocks. Pero after replacing it with new ones, lalo na pares, parang di rin nainumbalik yung dampen feel na katulad ng bago ang sasakyan.

Starmobile Up+

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    for educational purpose, the softness or the stiffness of the ride when talking about shock absorbers depends on the ratio. typically, it is 50/50, for sportier rides 70/30 or 60/40. the first number is the jounce (compression) and the second number is rebound (extension). the pressurized inert nitrogen gas was added to eliminate the shock absorber fade. the fade results when the oil inside is repeatedly passed through the orifices of the valves in the piston and gets hot making the oil thinner. the pressurized inert nitrogen gas is used to raise the boiling point of the oil and to reduce the foaming action when the oil is passed repeatedly through the orifices. the shock absorbers should be of the same type between on the same axle and the same type all throughout.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodetor View Post
    I have experience na rin ang dribbling ng wheels, kapag sira na shocks. Pero after replacing it with new ones, lalo na pares, parang di rin nainumbalik yung dampen feel na katulad ng bago ang sasakyan.

Starmobile Up+
    Did you replace with same brand/model of the stock?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    Did you replace with same brand/model of the stock?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    No. Replacement one, KAYABA Brand. Nawala ang dribbling, pero yung umpog sound na " thug" kapag nadaan ka sa mga hiniwa hukay lubak na ginawa ng maynilad, eh dinig at ramdam mo.

Starmobile Up+

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    did you know that shock absorbers need to be bled when gas goes into the fluid side? if gas goes into the wrong side, no matter what brand, no matter how new, the shocks never worked right.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    did you know that shock absorbers need to be bled when gas goes into the fluid side? if gas goes into the wrong side, no matter what brand, no matter how new, the shocks never worked right.
    is this process something we ordinary motorists can do?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is this process something we ordinary motorists can do?
    for gas charged shock absorbers, release the piston( s/a came in compressed and held with a bale) with the unit upright like the position it will be installed. for non gas charged, compress the unit upside down, extend upright, repeat until the skipping while doing the procedure is eliminated

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Fluid or Gas Type?